View Single Post
Old January 29, 2017, 10:00 PM   #20
condor bravo

If working up loads fails to yield satisfactory results, try Mr. T's suggestion in post #8 by applying pressure near the stock's forend. I have a Model 70 Win in .338 Win mag that came with a free floating barrel and would hardly group 5 shots within 5 inches at 100. The rifle also had a hard plastic insert an inch long inserted near the forend that was to be removed upon firing, leaving the barrel free floating and shooting 5 inch groups. I finally shoved the plastic insert some 4 or 5 inches up the barrel channel, thereby putting excessive pressure between barrel and stock near the forend. This brought the group size down considerably but of course would vibrate loose after a few shots. The next thing was to trim the plastic insert to the contour of the stock channel and glass bed it into place. This resulted in bringing the group size down consistently at 1.25 inches at 100 and 5 shots. I would like to say that adding forend pressure to all my model 70s and Rem 700s produced similar results but such is not the case. Of course they don't start out shooting 5 inch groups like the .338 but sometimes adding forend pressure doesn't help at all towards that 1 inch group or better.

Page generated in 0.02162 seconds with 7 queries