View Single Post
Old July 9, 2013, 09:22 PM   #17
Frank Ettin
Join Date: November 23, 2005
Location: California - San Francisco
Posts: 8,810
Originally Posted by 2ndsojourn
interstate transfer of long guns need only go through an FFL in the originating state. Interstate transfer of handguns need to go through a FFL of the resident's state.
Not exactly.
  1. Handgun -- FFL in transferee's State of residence.

  2. Long gun -- any FFL, maybe. See post 8:
    ...In the case of long guns, it may be any FFL as long as (1) the long gun is legal in the transferee's State of residence; and (2) the transfer complies with the laws of the State in which it takes place; and (3) the transfer complies with the law of the transferee's State of residence. In connection with the transfer of a long gun, some FFLs will not want to handle the transfer to a resident of another State, because they may be uncertain about the laws of that State. And if the transferee resides in some States (e. g., California), the laws of the State may be such that an out-of-state FFL will not be able to conduct a transfer that complies....
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Last edited by Frank Ettin; July 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: correct typo
Frank Ettin is offline  
Page generated in 0.03537 seconds with 7 queries