View Single Post
Old December 21, 2012, 12:15 PM   #11
Senior Member
Join Date: March 1, 2009
Posts: 1,080
the only acid that would harm your brass would be nitric which is also a oxidizer. It would eat the patina the oxidize the brass underneath then eat that patina etc etc. Citric acid will just eat the oxidation off. Same for acetic acid (vinegar). I heard, but have not verified, that citric acid will leave a coating on your brass which will prevent oxidation reoccurring

I think on another pin tumbler thread the guy gives his recipe for how much lemishine/detergent. I have never tried this but I bet you could take a case then let it sit in pure lemon juice a week and it would be fine.

By the way ammonia is a base not an acid and it reacts with the copper in the brass. A bit of trivia here but if you ever want to remove a copper plating from something for some odd reason soak it in ammonia. Want to make your plated bullets turn blue?
“Only accurate rifles are interesting,” - Col. Townsend Whelen

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan
hounddawg is offline  
Page generated in 0.05305 seconds with 7 queries