View Single Post
Old December 10, 2012, 06:31 PM   #14
Senior Member
Join Date: October 22, 2010
Posts: 221
Sorry for the delayed response guys...

Skans- According to my lawyer the beneficiaries can be whoever I designate. The only reason I'd give them up would be in the case of my death or if I was no longer able to own firearms (felony conviction or something). For my trust it was a little tricky because my parents live in CA and can't take my stuff- and they aren't "gun people." Since they would not be able to take them, and would not really appreciate their value, my trust states that they are given to an old military friend of mine. That friend is an avid shooter, and would be a great home for my stuff. Similar to a will for guns if you will.

BDD8- There aren't really any 'permits' involved. To own title II weapons (suppressors/silencers, machine guns, short barreled guns, etc) there are two ways to go. One, is the trust route, that as explained above is popular for the ability to bypass the CLEO. In my county the CLEO won't sign a form 4 for even his own deputies, so it's not worth it to bother. I got a trust, and that's what "owns" my weapons- just so happens I own/control the trust. As far as what you're asking for CA law I'm a little confused. Are you trying to find out if you can own any of those things there? Going off memory, I'm pretty sure that for non-law enforcement purposes title II stuff is illegal in CA. Like the guys above have said, you can own them federally but have to be able to satisfy state law too. I lived in WA for a while, and you can own suppressors there but SBR's aren't legal in the state so you cant get them there even though they are federally legal. If you want to figure out what you are allowed to own in your state there are several websites that provide great info. Check out - it's a site run by Advanced Armament that is an excellent source for people new to dealing with the NFA.

Medalguy- You make an excellent point about the form 5. Makes me wonder if something were to happen to me, that the trust would just act as a living will and direct my NFA goods to be transferred to the individual named. The way my lawyer explained it to me is that in the event of my death- that named individual would already be on the trust and be immediately able to possess the items contained within.
tmorone is offline  
Page generated in 0.04013 seconds with 7 queries