View Single Post
Old November 2, 2012, 12:59 PM   #13
Frank Ettin
Join Date: November 23, 2005
Location: California - San Francisco
Posts: 8,745
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca
...I think approaching the BATFE is perhaps the only way to obtain a defining opinion, but I would submit the question by letter...
Asking in writing is a good idea. But it's important when asking a question in a letter to a regulatory agency to include all the facts. The regulatory agency will respond based exactly on the situation as described in the letter, and the answer will not be binding on the regulatory agency if the actual facts are at all different or if something material has been left out of the request.

So the OP should include in any letter all the information in posts 6 and 8, as well as (1) describing in more detail the terms of the trust owning the house; and (2) describing any financial arrangements he has, or any of the other family members have, for paying rent to the trust or reimbursing the trust of expenses associated with the property or their use of it.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Frank Ettin is offline  
Page generated in 0.07233 seconds with 7 queries