View Single Post
Old October 1, 2012, 09:13 PM   #15
Senior Member
Join Date: July 9, 2004
Posts: 5,159
Also, I have noticed that Hoppe's No. 9 Solvents are toxic. Could you recommend something non-toxic?
In the last 25-30 years, our society has become ludicrously paranoid. These days, everything stronger than lemonade has a warning label.

I am 55 years old and have been using toxic solvents for my entire life. When I was a kid, our home was heated by heating oil, something close to kerosene. I used that to clean parts of motorcycles, lawn mowers, bicycles, etc...and later, cars, because that was what was available. Never thought a bit about being arms-deep in a bucket of that stuff.

When I served in the Navy, I would take fuel samples all day on aircraft fueled with 115/145 Avgas. I did this all day, every day for months...then I was transferred to the Powerplant shop, where I sunk my arms past the elbow into a vat of PD680 (aka Stoddard Solvent) to clean prop domes, oil filer elements and other parts...several times daily, for ~20 minutes at a time. My arms were white afterwards. Again, this was a daily deal.

I'm still alive and kicking, 35+ years later. I may drop dead any old day, but I don't spend too much time worrying about it.

I still work on cars, motorcycles and lawn equipment regularly, and I use brake cleaner, carb cleaner, and whatever else is necessary. Yes, I wear nitrile gloves, when I think of it. But if I don't, I don't stress out over it.

I have used Hoppes (and other solvents) to clean my guns as long as I have owned guns...and never worried about it. I never wear nitrile gloves...although perhaps I should.

I also handload by the thousand, and I wear nitrile gloves... when I think of it. I have my lead level checked each year when I get my physical and blood work done. So far, so good.

If you don't drink Hoppes straight, or eat lead SWCs by the dozen, I don't think that occasional exposure will do too much harm.

Just my opinion/experience. I am not a doctor or a lawyer, and YMMV.

Best regards, Rich
orionengnr is offline  
Page generated in 0.03337 seconds with 7 queries