View Single Post
Old July 31, 2012, 08:12 PM   #184
Tom Servo
Join Date: September 27, 2008
Location: Foothills of the Appalachians
Posts: 12,154
The "class 3" is a type of firearms dealer's license.
If you want to get really technical, the dealer needs a Type 1 or Type 2 FFL, and he needs to pay a Class 3 SOT. A full-auto rifle is a Title 2 weapon, and the purchaser has to send a tax in with a Form 4.

Also, the weapons available for civilian purchase aren't really AK-47's. They're sporter versions of the AKM. The AK-47 had a milled receiver instead of stamped sheet metal.

Do I expect a politician to know that, or to care, when all he's looking for is a convenient soundbyte to appease his base? Nope. The general public just knows "AK-47."
Sometimes it’s nice not to destroy the world for a change.
--Randall Munroe
Tom Servo is offline  
Page generated in 0.03260 seconds with 7 queries