View Single Post
Old May 9, 2012, 12:12 AM   #11
Junior member
Join Date: July 20, 2008
Location: WA, USA
Posts: 447
Only one person can be listed as the transferee if you use a ATF 5320.4 form. As such no one other than the transferee can technically have access to the item either, this includes inside your residence.
Not true. A corporation or trust can be listed as the owner. This allows several trustees or corporate officers to possess and use the silencers.
Now let's say you buy the suppressor and use it a lot. After extensive use they'll need repair work done.
Not true. A well made silencer needs little or no maintenance unless it is used with rim fire or cast ammo. In this case a silencer that has removable end caps is able to be cleaned by the owner.
Also, depending on the repair, the suppressor may have to be re-registered and another $200 transfer tax paid.
This is only true is the repair makes the silencer longer, changes the bore or requires replacement of the tube.

And just when you think it can't be anymore complicated. You need to fill out a ATF Form 5320.20 for permission to move the item to another address even if you move from one apartment number to another at the same location.
This is only needed for permanent change of addresses.

After dealing with a number of establishments who deal in NFA weapons I've come to the conclusion (sorry about using a broad brush here folks) that many of these places don't know the laws, convey false and imprecise information, and will wheedle as much cash as they can from you knowing that you're as confused about the subject as can possibly be.
I avoid this by making my own, a very easy process.

RAnb is offline  
Page generated in 0.03712 seconds with 7 queries