View Single Post
Old March 28, 2012, 08:32 AM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: March 28, 2012
Posts: 10
Short barrel, Short Stock this one legal?

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I have a question about cutting the barrel and stock from my rifle.

I have a Remington 597 brand new 2012 model (paid full price for it) so its not worth selling it and loose money to buy a Ruger Charger, that been said I want to modify this rifle legally to a look a like Ruger Charger and keep it out of the SBR tax stamp fee.

Searching online how can I do this without paying the $200 tax fee and keep it legal and I found this info about cutting the barrel and total length of the rifle. 16" inch barrel and total rifle length of 26"

Wikipedia Short-barreled rifle (SBR) is a legal designation in the United States, referring to a shoulder-fired, rifled firearm with a barrel length of less than 16 inches (40.6 cm) or overall length of less than 26 inches (66.0 cm). In the United States, an SBR is an item regulated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) as an NFA firearm. In the absence of local laws prohibiting ownership, American civilians may own an SBR provided it is registered with the BATFE, and a $200 tax is paid prior to taking possession of or creating the firearm.

This is what I want to do if possible and ad a BiPod, is this legal? or do I need a folding stock?

Any help will be appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 597.jpg (46.6 KB, 39 views)
cld is offline  
Page generated in 0.05744 seconds with 8 queries