View Single Post
Old April 22, 2011, 10:29 PM   #83
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
If no one fights back while being robbed, what prevents the thieves from striking again. . ( and again ) ?
The legal use of deadly force is there to allow law-abiding citizens to protect themselves from violent criminals. It was not instituted to stop repeat offenses nor as punishment for criminals nor as a means for the law-abiding to take their revenge on criminals.

Unless the defender reasonably believes that deadly force is immediately needed to prevent a violent crime that is likely to result in serious injury or death then it's almost certainly not legal to use deadly force.
Quote:
You do not draw your weapon unless you intend to fire it after a short warning. If you don't intend to fire, leave it in the holster until you do, period.
I've seen this statement made several times and I would modify it as follows.

You do not draw your weapon unless you either immediately need to fire it or unless it appears that you will very soon need to fire it AND you are willing to fire it should the need arise. If you do not believe that you need to fire or that you will likely need to fire it very soon, then leave it in the holster until you do.

In at least some areas (e.g. TX) it is legal to draw and display your firearm as a deterrent before the full criteria for the use of deadly force has been met. Obviously firearms do not always serve as deterrents, but they frequently do. And if they don't, they offer the ability to immediately transition to a deadly force response if things don't de-escalate.

Obviously one should never draw a firearm unless the situation is dire and it appears that deadly force is either immediately necessary or very likely will be necessary imminently. And if they are not willing to use it should it become necessary to do so they would be much better off leaving it at home.

I would let this pass but I'm starting to get worried that people will begin to think that they can't draw until they absolutely have to fire or that if they draw they have to fire. Most self-defense encounters involving a defender with a firearm are resolved because the firearm's deterrent value ends the encounter without a shot being fired. We shouldn't DEPEND on that for safety nor should we display a firearm if we aren't willing and able to use it, but it would be sad for gun-owners to think that they aren't allowed to take advantage of such a valuable tool given its obviously impressive track record.

Page generated in 0.03026 seconds with 7 queries