View Single Post
Old April 28, 2010, 05:29 PM   #71
Sarge

NEFProtector,

The 870 Express shotguns use a little plastic follower as well. I don't know if their plastic is susceptible to chemical degradation, like your NEF did.

I gut them and replace the factory Express follower with something more substantial. I usually iron out the magazine tube detents, install a magazine extension and follow with a Wilson spring and heavy-duty follower. That one is plastic too, but at least it's solid and lots heavier than the little Express plug.

I'm seeing too many posts on various gun boards, regarding problems with the later Express shotguns, for me to believe it's anything other than the predictable result of cheapening a product too much. I personally wouldn't have a new one, or a used one after the change to plastic trigger guards. There are simply too many serviceable, older guns available in the 'used' market.

It ain't just 870's I feel that way about, either.

*Just caught your post, Dave...I'll agree with you on the last line, anyhow

Seriously, I've never had an ammo compatibility problem with any 870; Police, Express or otherwise. Had a couple of Mossberg 500's for the kids, over the years, which flat did NOT like Federal from Wally World.

Page generated in 0.06240 seconds with 8 queries