View Single Post
Old January 22, 2010, 09:55 AM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: October 20, 2007
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 7,224
My question is this - is it legal for me to package up my long guns with the rest of our home furnishings and move them with the rest of our possessions or do they have to be sent thru an FFL as in an interstate sale.

Am I correct in assuming that the only way to transfer my hand guns from one state to another would be thru FFLs at both ends.
If the question regards federal law, there seems to be a widely held misconception amonst many shooters, so let me clear something up.

There is absolutely no federal law requiring you to transfer guns that already belong to you through an FFL when moving from one state to another. This applies regardless of the type of gun.

The matter is entirely governed by the laws of the destination state.

I'm not familiar with NC or SC state law, so I'll leave that question to those more knowledgeable than I.

Mandatory disclaimer: I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV. This is not official legal advice. Caveat emptor.
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules... MARK IT ZERO!!" - Walter Sobchak
carguychris is offline  
Page generated in 0.03329 seconds with 7 queries