View Single Post
Old January 17, 2010, 11:24 AM   #5
Sam06

I think the 243 is a fine cartridge but it is going to let you down one day on Deer. As far as shooting the barrel out its not going to happen unless you shoot a whole lot and expect a level of accuracy from a deer rifle that a bench rest shooter wants.

6.5 swede is a great cartridge and a proven Deer killer. I like the 257 Roberts also. The bad thing is they are both Medium actions. The are 1/2 way between the long actions like the 06 and the short action like the 243.

For a good medium to light cartridge in a true short action rifle I would take a hard look at the 260 Rem. Its a 243 necked up to 6.5mm. You get the best of both worlds; short action and a good bullet selection. The 260 is also becoming a big favorite in the sniper rifle competitions. low recoil but great Accuracy make it a contender.

There are a lot of great choices out there better than the 243 for a deer rifle, I would explore them. I am going to get a lot of heat for saying that but its my opinion and yes I have a 243..........Flame on

Page generated in 0.03621 seconds with 7 queries