View Single Post
Old October 31, 2009, 09:41 PM   #6
Junior member
Join Date: July 20, 2008
Location: WA, USA
Posts: 447
I think you'll find it's not that simple. (I've not owned one, but have talked with folks who have.)

First, suppressors/silencers are tightly controlled by most states and/or federal law -- and you may spend more on the license you need to purchase and own a suppressor (and the parts you need) than you did on the gun.

And, the suppressor itself won't be cheap.
I'm not sure what folks told you this, but they got it wrong. While silencers are strictly controlled by the feds, a license is not required to buy, sell, make or own one. All that is required is to apply for the tax stamp using the ATF form 4 (to buy) or ATF form 1 (to make). Only those that import, manufacture or deal in title 2 weapons like silencers need the FFL/SOT class 1, 2, or 3. Anyone who fills out the tax stamp application properly will be approved to make or buy a silencer.

Most states that don't ban silencers do not regulate them at all except that some require registration.

Silencers do not have to be expensive; they can be had for as little as $100. I make them for as little as $20 in material plus the $200 tax. If you pick the right host, then there is nothing extra to buy to mount a silencer.

Making a good silencer is easy if you have access to a lathe and a little experience using it.

RAnb is offline  
Page generated in 0.03741 seconds with 7 queries