View Single Post
Old September 21, 2009, 03:19 PM   #1
kraigwy

BlackwaterUSA Chimes in on Point vs Sight shooting

Quote:
Tip of the Week:

Sighted Fire vs. Point Shooting

What makes a good shooter is being able to be consistent, by doing the same thing over and over under stress. If you practice both sighted fire and point shooting, under stress you will revert back to point shooting because it requires less mental thought then using your sights. This is why most tactical teams that teach both sighted fire and point shooting are getting less than 20% hits on target. That's 80% of total shots fired not hitting their intended targets. When ask if they had seen their sights, the answer is usually no. Where are these rounds going, the answer is nobody knows. This has the potential of hitting innocent bystanders or other teammates and that is unacceptable. Also, civilians that use their weapon for home defense and train to point shoot have the potential to hit a family member. You need to have an acceptable sight picture for every round fired out of your weapon. Why? Because, you are held accountable for each one of those rounds. There is minimal time difference between picking up your sights rather than point shooting. What it will give you is a higher hit probability on your intended target. On the range you need to practice sighted shooting and become consistent so under stress you are better able to get your hits.

Joseph Scolly
Firearms and Tactics Instructor
I subscribe to Using the Sights, I've pushed that when I was a LE Firearm instructor, coaching NG Marksmanship teams and in SD or CC classes.

I dont beleive there is the delay in getting on the sights, I do believe you revert to your training or habits in stressful situations. Good habits are as hard to break as bad habits. I just couldnt say it as well as Mr Scolly.

Page generated in 0.02621 seconds with 7 queries