View Full Version : Dovetail cutters

January 18, 2002, 11:12 PM
I'm setting up my mill and wonder what are the most common dovetail cutters used ? Should I just buy a standard set or are there custom ground ones?


January 19, 2002, 12:49 AM
Generally there are two common types of dovetail cutters.

One is a 30 degree and the other is a 45 degree.
These will do most of what you need.

There are 60 degree cutters and there are others for special jobs. I have used 15 degrees and 20 degrees on special tools.

Most dovetails will use the 30 degree tools although the 45 is used quite a bit. Standard procedure is to cut the slot with a conventional cutter and then finish with the dovetail. Its much easier on the tool.

George Stringer
January 19, 2002, 09:13 AM
Check your Brownells catalogue or their website www.brownells.com. They sell all the dovetail cutters for gun work. None that I know of are either 30 or 45s. They're all 60 and 65. Widths vary as to the particular sight you are installing. I would also invest in a pair of their sight base files as most of the dovetails cut a bit undersize and need to be finished up with a file. George

January 22, 2002, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the info on the cutters.