View Full Version : Full auto AR

January 16, 2002, 02:58 PM
I am a little confused. I currently own an Armalite M15-A2. I am interested in owning a full auto ar-15 but I am confused on the way this works. First question, is there anyway to make my armalite auto?
Second question, if I could get my hands on a preban lower.. what does it take to make that select fire?
And lastly, are new autos LE only? like bushmater full auto? and if they are, can a LE officer own one personally.. or does the department have to own it??

Thanks for any info.. i am relatively inexperienced with full autos...

January 16, 2002, 03:49 PM
Only way to convert any AR style rifle (complete rifle, upper and lower) to full auto, would require a registered DIAS (drop in auto sear). Mechanically DAIS can't be converted to select fire (I'll put it this way, never seen one). Select fire would require a registered receiver with all the parts (including the auto sear), either purchased as a package or separately. Restriction do apply. :)

If you do a search, I'm sure that you'd find a ton of detailed information that would better answer your question. Its been discussed here many times.

As for your Law Enforcement question. They can own domestically produced machine guns made after the 86 ban, with department approval. Once they become PFC's once again, machine gun must be surrendered. Most all new machine gun sale today are for departments and not personnel. In the years we've been doing this, no department has ever signed off on a machine gun for LE personnel. And most of our sales of sub guns and rifles are in semi automatic form.


January 17, 2002, 03:23 AM
Be aware that "pre-ban lowers" and the 1986 machinegun ban are two different animals. The pre-bans are so called "assault weapons" that are grandfathered in. They are still semi-automatic firearms and cannot be converted to machineguns (except for registered sears). They do get to keep their highly dangerous cosmetic features like bayonet lugs and pistol grips.

The 1986 Machinegun Ban stopped the sell of machineguns manufactured after that date to civilians. All machineguns (and sears) registered prior to that date are still fully transferable. If you purchase (and do the paperwork) to acquire the drop in sear, you can put it into an AR manufactured at any time (ie pre-ban or post-ban).

January 17, 2002, 08:32 AM
thanks for the info. where could one purchase a drop in sear?

thanks again

January 17, 2002, 09:53 AM
You can buy the sear from any class 3 dealer. You should find a local (in-state) dealer to make it easier to handle all of the paperwork. If he doesn't have a sear in stock, he can get one from another dealer and have it transferred to himself. Then he does the paperwork to transfer it to you.

Before you start though, you need to ensure that there are no local or state bans on owning machineguns. Plus, part of the paperwork involves getting the signature of your "Chief Law Enforcement Officer" with jurisdiction over your residence. That's a sheriff, chief of police, etc. It is possible that there are no laws against you owning a machinegun, but the CLEO doesn't like the idea of civilians owning guns and refuses to sign the form.

January 17, 2002, 01:17 PM
Been seeing them here and there, at gun shows and on line. Pricing is varying widely, from $3200 to as high as $4500 for the little buggers. If you don't know of any Class III builders or gun smiths that work these guns, you maybe better off purchasing an entire rifle.


January 17, 2002, 02:32 PM

Select fire with a DIAS is no problem as it simply replaces the auto sear. All other fire control parts are regular M-16. A Lightning Link will not allow for select fire (there are mods. that will allow it.).

Are you sure about LEO ownership of post '86 Title 2 weapons? I don't think that the same rules apply as to ownership of post ban hi-caps (individual officer may own, with departmental approval). I am pretty sure that a post '86 FA weapon can only be owned by the LE department. There is no provision for individual officer ownership.

Do you have any info. on this?

January 17, 2002, 04:53 PM

This came from a conversation I had with the armorer of a local PD. His department had some HK post samples that they were evaluating of ours and he really liked the UMP's. Offered him one if he could legally possess one. He then stated that he could not legally possess a foreign made post machine gun, but the domestics were OK.

Since we were just shooting the breeze and nothing ever came of this deal. And no department has ever signed off on a machine gun sale for a Officer, I've never looked into it or challenged the statement. So your statement is just as valid and probably correct. I don't know for sure.

January 17, 2002, 05:16 PM
Like you, I don't know for sure.

I would suspect that if it were OK, we wold probably be hearing about officers (maybe in small depts.?) doing this and the anti's would have a field day.

January 17, 2002, 10:16 PM
TaxPhd is correct. Post ban high capacity magazines may be purchased and owned by an individual police officer and he may retain the magazines when he retires. The machinegun is owned (and registered) to the law enforcement agency and issued to the officer for official use. It is not "transferred" to him and he must return it upon end of active employment.