View Full Version : Okay, How Does This Work

January 15, 2002, 05:25 PM
Okay, how do I get my hands on a fully automatic firearm here in the United States? I'm starting at proverbial zero -- of legal age for non-concealables (18), but no license of any kind as of yet. What state(s) do I need to move to, what licenses and fees do I need to pay, and where can I actually buy the things once I have all the proper authorizations? Also, what exactly ARE Class II and Class III weapons, and are the licenses for them different?

January 15, 2002, 05:44 PM
Move to Arizona, make lots of money, wait 3 years (21 for NFA stuff), establish residency and the NFA dealer will walk you through your first Form 4 purchase. Dont' forget to donate to your local Sheriff or District Attorney's campaign!

The "class" you are referencing is the different types of FFLs. The firearms are defined as Title I of the 1968 SSA (not subject to the NFA) and Title II of the same act (subject to the NFA). Lots of people call an emmagee a "Class 3 weapon" whatever those are, when they mean Title II. It's O.K., sort of like Polaroid for instant photo, Xeroxing for photocopy, or MP5 for HK54. People will know what you mean.

Others have stated that they learned much from the Treasury's website. So, go there first, then start packing.

January 17, 2002, 11:11 AM
Move to a Class III state and establish residency.
Get a job and save every penny.
When you turn 21, find a Class III dealer and tell him what you want.

M16 Registered DIAS - $2000 - 3000 (you'll still need to get a rifle)
M16 Lightning link $1500 - 2000(you'll still need to get a rifle)
M16 Registered Receiver - $4000 - $5000

HK 3-caliber sear - $3000 -4000 (sear only)
HK trigger pack w/ registered Sear $4000 - $6000 (sear installed in trigger pack only)
HK Registered receiver $8000 - $11000

Not to mention the $200 Transfer Tax and the 6 - 12 month wait for your first approval from BATF. Subsequent approvals are much faster now that you are on file with the BATF.

Here's a link to read up on Title II Firearms

Here's where a lot of Class III guys hang out

January 17, 2002, 12:13 PM
0. Save lots of money. Plan on spending 10 times as much as a semi-auto version of whatever you want.

1. Read the NFA FAQ: http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/nfa_faq.txt

2. Move to an appropriate state as indicated above. Pick a jurisdiction where the Cheif Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) is _known_ to willingly sign the necessary paperwork (many refuse to even when ownership is legal - no signature, no gun).

3. Find a Class III dealer in the state to buy from or transfer through. He will provide all the paperwork you need - just do everything the paperwork requires.

4. Find what you want to buy and order it.

5. Wait. Receive. Joy!

January 18, 2002, 02:23 AM
Cool, thanks guys!