PDA

View Full Version : (UT) Crossroads Gun Shows Official Indicted on Drugs, Weapons Charges

Drizzt
January 10, 2002, 09:40 PM
Crossroads Gun Shows Official Indicted on Drugs, Weapons Charges
Thursday, January 10, 2002

BY MICHAEL VIGH
THE SALT LAKE TRIBUNE

The vice-president of the Kaysville-based Crossroads of the West Gun Shows -- one of the nation's largest firearms conventions -- was indicted Wednesday on a federal charge of illegally possessing guns and drugs in his home.
Jeffrey Templeton, 35, and his wife, Collette, 32, are charged in U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City with possession of a firearm by an unlawful user or person addicted to a controlled substance.
The charge carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison and a $250,000 fine, said Melodie Rydalch, spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Salt Lake City.
The indictment lists 57 firearms confiscated at the home by agents with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Kaysville police on Dec. 11.
The discovery was made after someone at the Templetons' home in Kaysville called police to report something suspicious, possibly a burglar or prowler.
But when Kaysville police arrived, they spotted a slew of weapons with illegal drugs nearby, said Kaysville Police Chief Dave Helquist. He said the drugs appeared to be methamphetamine and are being tested.
"We saw in plain view drugs that looked illegal to us," Helquist said. "We weren't surprised to see the guns because they are in the firearms business."
The Templetons were charged Dec. 13 in 2nd District Court with illegal possession or use of a controlled substance and possession with intent to manufacture or produce a controlled substance, both felonies.
They are also charged with two misdemeanor counts of possession of marijuana and use or possession of drug paraphernalia, according to court records. Both were jailed but posted bail.
Crossroads President Bob Templeton said he was unaware that his son or daughter-in-law had been charged with a federal crime, but confirmed his son is vice-president of the organization.
The Crossroads of the West is the largest gun show, with more combined customers than any other show in America, according to the organization's Web site. This year, there are 36 gun shows scheduled throughout the West.
[email protected]

http://www.sltrib.com/01102002/utah/166235.htm

Gee, it's a good thing "someone" called the police about that burglar, eh?
:rolleyes:

Tamara
January 10, 2002, 10:06 PM
Why would someone who (allegedly) was standing in drugs up to their eyeballs and was more heavily armed than the 82nd Airborne Division "call the police on a suspected prowler"?

Something's fishy, there. :rolleyes:

Bob Locke
January 10, 2002, 10:18 PM
Something's fishy, there.
How can that be? For something to be "fishy" in this case, the government would have to be telling something other than the truth.

We all know that isn't the case don't we? :rolleyes:

dZ
January 10, 2002, 10:53 PM
The discovery was made after someone at the Templetons' home in Kaysville called police to report something suspicious, possibly a burglar or prowler.

hell hath no fury like a druggie scorned

Jeff OTMG
January 11, 2002, 12:27 AM
If they were in possession and they were manufacturing meth with the intent to distribute I hope they go to jail and rot. I don't care if they had guns or not. If they are guilty, screw'em.

MARINE1
January 15, 2002, 08:17 PM
I wonder why this news item took almost 30 days to make the news?

I wonder why the BATF was involved in a local prowler/burgler/suspicious charactor incident?

I wonder why this didn't make national news?

For Utah, the fact that a senior exec of the nations largest gun show promotions company, was arrested on drug charges and no state charges were filed, but many federal charges were....this is major news!

I wonder....

C.R.Sam
January 15, 2002, 11:11 PM
Strange indeed, wonder if we will ever get the straight story.

An lot of illogicalitizations so far.

Sam

jimpeel
January 15, 2002, 11:20 PM
"Let's see now ... the cops are coming so let's pull out the guns and Metamphetamines and leave them in plain sight, stacked in a pile, so they won't have to ransack the house to find them."

UnknownSailor
January 16, 2002, 12:07 AM
I hope someone close to this gets the truth out, like a family member, or something.

Funny, how the only witnesses appear to be Federal Agents, though. :rolleyes:

One of these days, they are gonna try to serve a warrant on some guy who is ready with enough guns to put a real hurt on these bastards. Then we'll see what up.