View Full Version : Can one make an HK-21 from an HK-91 w/o paperwork?

January 5, 2002, 02:54 PM
Can one legally take an HK-91 and use an HK-21 parts kit and end up with an HK-21? And then could one put an autosear in it? Assuming this is legal without paperwork, is it a practical project?

4V50 Gary
January 5, 2002, 03:00 PM
Assuming all the paperwork was in order, you'd probably need a miling machine and skill at TIG welding. The receiver has to be modified so as to take the different trigger group and the belt feed mechanism.

January 5, 2002, 03:04 PM
You're talking about manufacturing a new machine gun. That in and of itself is illegal, unless you're one of the elite (Class II manufacturer or gov't). And to do it without paperwork is another felony.

January 5, 2002, 03:06 PM
Is this because the receiver of the HK-91 is being modified? So in other words, anything made will be a Post-dealer sample, and that is that?

January 5, 2002, 03:31 PM
No, it's not practical. Thanks to ATF import regs before 3/89 you need to do a heck of a lot more than some silly "kit" and an "autosear" on the HKs. Like Gary sez, if you are a Class II FFL or the government, go see a T&D guy.

No, it's not legal. However, you're making a new emmagee after 5/19/86 whether from a block of metal or an existing Title I firearm. What Buzz said. Another exception, Buzz, you have a pre-5/86 Form, aka "paper receiver."

Get an SOT and start knocking on doors of PDs.

January 5, 2002, 03:55 PM
What does SOT mean?

January 5, 2002, 04:03 PM
Special Occupational Taxpayer. You'll get an SOT number assigned when you get your FFL (or if you open a bar).

January 5, 2002, 04:09 PM
SOT = Special Occupational Taxpayer.

What he is trying to say is get yourself a manufacturers license at a thousand bucks a year.

Use this link



January 5, 2002, 04:22 PM
I would consider it, but it would be hard for me to have industrial-zoned space. But if I were richer and had more time, I think it would be an interesting business, as long as you could keep it stress free by not depending on it for income. But if you were really rich, you could guy up most of the property is a county, vote yourself in as Sheriff, and do lots of things. Probably even get free APC and choppers from the military.