View Full Version : Gunsmith For A Remington Md 12?

November 17, 2001, 06:50 PM
Does anyone know of a gunsmith that specializes in these old .22s? Thanks!

James K
November 17, 2001, 09:00 PM
I doubt any gunsmith specializes in a pretty uncommon little rifle, but most general gunsmiths should be able to handle any repairs.


George Stringer
November 18, 2001, 07:58 AM
MP-44, I'm restoring my own model 12 right now. I don't specialize in them but I've worked on several over the years. What is it you need? George

November 18, 2001, 04:12 PM
Years back I lost the two screws for the pump handle. In my stupidity of youth I drlled out the holes in the action bar and rethreaded them for a cheap screw. I was hoping to find a new action bar and screws or have a smith fill in the holes and re-thread them for the original or similar screw. The rifle is chambered for the .22 Rem Special. I see action bars for sale at Numrich(sp?) but they are listed for .22 lr. Will that make a difference? Thanks!

George Stringer
November 19, 2001, 09:20 AM
MP-44, I really don't know. I couldn't find a reference to a 22 Rem Special. I've heard of it and seen a couple rifles chambered for it but I don't know how it's dimensions compare to the LR. I would contact Remington and ask them about it. I would think they would have the answer. George

December 13, 2001, 09:27 AM
Gun Parts Inc. had M12 parts in the last catalog I saw...formerly Numrich Arms.
It's a lovely, elegant .22. Mine's a 12C with full octagon barrel, a beauty.

Jim Watson
December 13, 2001, 10:45 AM
.22 Remington Special is the same as .22 Winchester Rimfire. Remington loaded their ammo with roundnose instead of flatpoint bullets, but the chamber is the same. Not interchangeable with .22 lr or magnum. I don't know about parts.