View Full Version : How Do You Change the Hammer Spring in a SIG

November 12, 2001, 10:17 PM
I have a 228, and I can't figure out how to change the hammer spring or mag spring. How do you take the magazine spring off the plate?

November 12, 2001, 10:27 PM
Ok, the entire rod that holds the hammer spring came out. How do I take off the old spring, and how do I get the rod back in place?

George Stringer
November 13, 2001, 09:51 AM
Incursion, isn't there a pin at the bottom of the mainspring? If there is, compress the spring, remove the pin and then slowly ease off the spring. I believe the mag spring is held onto the plate by little tabs. You either need to just pull it "forward" from the tab or you might need to bend the tab a bit to get the spring off then bend it back when the new one is in place. George

November 13, 2001, 12:37 PM
I can't remove the pin for some reason.

November 13, 2001, 06:38 PM

November 13, 2001, 07:00 PM

November 13, 2001, 10:03 PM
I can't get the pin out with needle nose pliers and I can't knock it back in all they way to put the entire strut back in to relieve the tension. What should I do?

George Stringer
November 14, 2001, 07:55 AM
Incursion, I'd recommend you just take it to your local smith and have him change the spring. George

November 14, 2001, 03:15 PM
You may want to update to the newer plastic mainspring seat and avoid all this hassle if your pistol can use it.

Try calling Sig to see if you can use the new style. You can order the part from them or from

If you go the plastic mainspring seat route you will need to use the shorter mainsprings instead of the long ones. www.gunsprings.com will give you a pricing idea on that.

November 14, 2001, 06:37 PM
The strut isn't in the frame anymore. I can't get it back in correctly because the pin is not in the right place. It's almost completely out.

George Stringer
November 15, 2001, 08:49 AM
Incursion, if you don't want to take it to your local smith or if there isn't one near you give Sig a call and maybe they can talk you through it. George