View Full Version : How do you replace Mossberg 500 Mag follower ??

August 24, 2001, 05:05 PM
I want to replace the old magazine follower with a fluorescent one on my Mossberg 500A. Any one have a clue how you do this?

I'm stuck here. I have filtered internet and it blocks the will.mylanders. com instructions.

Any advice would be much appreciated.


August 24, 2001, 05:55 PM
I think there's another web page that has detailed instructions. I don't have it bookmarked on this computer.

If you take the barrel off, then remove the trigger group, you can disassemble the action and remove the forearm. The magazine tube unscrews from the receiver. My dad's old mossy was so tight I had to take it to my gun seller to remove with a strap wrench while the receiver was in a vise.

Good luck.

Tom B
August 25, 2001, 05:10 AM
I am going to assume its the same as Win 1300 and Rem 870. Unscrew the mag tube cap. There will be a metal slug/plug (for lack of a better term) at the end of the tube. Pry it out with a screwdriver (don't worry you won't use it again). Has mag spring now shot across the room (I forgot to tell you about that)? If not remove mag spring. Follower will be attached to spring or still present in tube. Remove it and replace with the pretty one. Now re-assemble in reverse order (omitt the step of shooting the spring across the room). The screw on mag cap will now hold the spring in place inside the tube. :)

August 25, 2001, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the instructions Harley. Thanks for all the advice as well.