View Full Version : High-Cap Mag Reducers for CA

August 6, 2001, 05:20 PM
For those of us living in the PRC, now that standard capacity magazines have been outlawed, are there commercially available reducers or blocks which can be inserted in the base of so-called "high capacity" magazines to reduce the capacity from whatever it was to 10 max?

If one already owned larger capacity magazines prior to the current legislation taking effect, one doesn't need to do this. However, if one wants to buy, sell, or even give away these magazines, each must be altered to accommodate no more than 10 rounds. It is my understanding that incorporating an internal barrier will meet the requirement of the law that such magazines can be transferred if "permanently" altered.

Any thoughts on this?

August 6, 2001, 10:12 PM
I think you can sell them out of state just not in california. If you have some to sell do it on a forum or say gunbroker. I would think that if you alter them it will have to be something permanent that can not be changed back

August 7, 2001, 01:30 PM
Thanks, Railroader. I'm primarily concerned about transfer within the state of CA. A "permanent" change is rather subjective. Most gun owners, and I'm referring to those who do not frequent boards such as this, will never disassemble a magazine much less a firearm beyond normal field stripping. I would be willing to opine that a solid and effective alteration to the high-cap mag well such as a block from the base would be considered legally acceptable for transfer.