View Full Version : Getting a Class III and altering my already owned FAL ?

Jamie Young
August 5, 2001, 01:01 PM
Instead of buying an already full auto or select fire gun, couldn't I get my License and take the gun to a Gunsmith and have it switched back LEGALLY ??????????????????????? I'd save a hell of a lot of money that way wouldn't I?

August 5, 2001, 01:24 PM
My understanding is no. I think they froze manufacture and conversions of full autos, so now I think you have to buy an existing one. I think this is true, but am not 100% sure, because full autos have never really interested me so I dont really keep up on em'.

August 5, 2001, 01:55 PM
SodaPop, what type of weapon? New Title I you bought at gun show that you desire to convert to Title II on a Form 1? Pre-5/86 with paper? Dealer sample? New factory?

When you get your SOT why not just buy DS on your NFA-SOT??? Why all the machinations?

Jamie Young
August 5, 2001, 03:31 PM
Its a New DSA STG type II.

Art Eatman
August 5, 2001, 06:02 PM
To keep it quick and dirty: Civilians can't own machine guns made after the cutoff date (Sept?) in 1986.

You'd have to have the full-bore manufacturing licensing, SFAIK.

(I do admit to not knowing all there is to know about the SOT stuff...)


August 6, 2001, 09:33 AM
SodaPop, about the BEST you can do with your FAL is make it a Short Barrel Gun... That is only a $200 tax stamp to do :mad:

As far as making it Full-Auto What everyone else said, you need to be a Class II Manufacter... (FFL & SOT) Or Class III Dealer, and getting a Dealer Sample (you must have a LE Letter stating that they want a demo of a gun that you want to get) :barf:

James K
August 6, 2001, 03:35 PM
No new machinegun registrations to individuals were accepted after 1986. So an individual can't convert or have converted a semi-auto to full auto legally, as it can't be registered. And it is not legal unless registered. Period.

You can get a NFA manufacturers license ($1000). If you do, you can manufacture machineguns for sale to police or military. You don't need a specific letter from the police requesting that you do so. You also are scrutinized pretty carefully by BATF to be sure you have at least the capability to manufacture. Actually, this is a CYA for them so they can't be accused of giving licenses to hobbyists.

BUT, if you go out of business, you can't keep any machineguns you make under the license. You must either sell them to police/military, sell them to an NFA manufacturer or dealer, or forfeit them.

Same reason. To keep them, you would have to have them transferred from your business to yourself, and that now can't be done.


August 7, 2001, 08:27 AM
Soda, DSA??? You mean one of those FAL clones that is made in Illinois? New Title I weapon being converted--forget it. If you want to go to all the hassle, like Jim K. sez, just get a SOT and a Class 2 or 3 FFL and set up a corporation to do business.

Hope you got the $$$$$$$$$. Most guys I talk to moan about the price of getting into a gun show or the price of a new Title I firearm (until I tell them how expensive NFA weapons are).

Cheer up, Soda. Just more the reason to abolish the NFA!!!

Jamie Young
August 7, 2001, 02:17 PM
I guess I'll just have to pull the trigger real faster and pretend:(

August 7, 2001, 02:36 PM
Wonder if a bunch of TFLers from PA/NJ could start a Corporation and become a "Class II Manufacture" / "Class III Dealer" ??

Seems possible. :D