View Full Version : Pistolsmithing question

July 11, 2001, 06:17 PM
I have a well-loved Kimber Pro Carry with ~7K rounds through it. The frame, including the ramp, is aluminum alloy and has started to show a little bit of wear: dings and dents.

Would it be possible to get a steel sleeve or something inset into the ramp to keep this little beauty up and at 'em? It's my daily carry piece, and along with my Sparks Versa-Max II (thanks Allan Yoast!) is there on my hip without binding, dragging down the side of my trousers or making me sweat any worse than usual in the Texas heat.

Any suggestions would be welcome, including the names of any beloved and/or trusted gunsmiths. Thanks.

Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

James K
July 11, 2001, 06:59 PM
I have not looked at that gun, but I don't see why a steel plate could not be inlet into the ramp. It would be a touchy job and could go badly, but it sounds like a way to keep a good gun shooting. I think that I would wait a while, though, and see if things get worse. Very often peening on alloy frames will get to a certain point and stop as the metal becomes compressed.


George Smith
July 11, 2001, 08:04 PM
Hi Sir
We make an insert made of steel. You mill a pocket into your frame and slide it in. We have sold around 50 of them through Brownells. Your favorite gunsmith can install it for you. (much easier with a digital read out) or we can put it in for you.
Evolution Gun Works inc.
geo ><>

there are a couple other gunsmiths that make a similar product, I have seen posts on the 1911 fourm

July 11, 2001, 08:56 PM
There's also a company called Accu-Rail that makes a neat fix for your problem.Most 'smiths will do it for less than $300.00.

George Smith
July 12, 2001, 07:31 AM
more like 125.00
geo ><>

July 12, 2001, 01:27 PM
Thanks,George,just a ball-park estimate,guy...