View Full Version : Ramped Barrels

June 18, 2001, 09:33 AM
Can someone tell me what type of ramp the SA 1911-A1 Longslide V-16 has?? Is it a standard ramp? Some barrel makers have either para,clark,wilson,or nowlin ramps on their barrles. Does the frame need to be modified for these type of ramps?
Thanks All.

June 20, 2001, 01:43 PM
Of what I recall the V-16 does not use a ramped barrel. It uses the standard arrangement or Colt setup. Ramped barrels are generally used for 38 Supers and such.

June 21, 2001, 01:28 PM
The springfields that I have seen that have factory ramped barrels are using the Wilson/Nowlin ramp. To tell the difference, remove the barrel and look at the area just ahead of the ramp. If it is cut square, it is the Wilson/Nowlin style, and if it has a semicircular extension it is the Clark/para style. They both work equally well, but the W/N is a little more difficult to machine the frame for.

June 22, 2001, 04:57 PM
My V16 does not have a ramped barrel.Yep,you have to cut the frame bridge for a ramped barrel to fit.

Ramped barrels are generally used (in 1911s) to provide 180 degrees of support for the brass of high-pressure loads like .38 Super.The V16 is a .45 Super pistol-the brass for this cartridge undergoes a special hardening process for handling the higher pressures..45 Super isn't a whole lot hotter than standard .45 ACP anyway.