View Full Version : To convert a M-1 Carbine to M-2

April 30, 2001, 11:48 PM
What does it take to convert a M-1 to selective fire like a M-2? Where can i get the part's? Thanks

Byron Quick
May 1, 2001, 07:25 AM
It takes the appropriate manufacturing license from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms which I believe is either $3000 or $5000 annually. Then you have to get a letter from a law enforcement agency or the military stating that they want you to build them an M2. Anything else is a long trip to Club Fed.

May 1, 2001, 07:35 AM
Even though your profile list Costa Rico as your location, the above post is correct in that you ought to check your local laws..........jail sucks no matter what country your in...fubsy.

May 1, 2001, 10:29 AM
Here in Costa Rica, I can get Goverment permission for fully automatic weapons due to my line of work. I happen to have a old M-1 here and thought it would be cheaper to convert than to buy a M-2 here. I have a MP5K-PDW that is great but it's a lot of $$ to put out for another one.A buddy picked up parts at a gun show in florida to convert his and he has been checking for me but no luck so far..

Byron Quick
May 1, 2001, 03:08 PM
do a search for Bower's Machine Guns. I believe the name is Bower's Politically Incorrect Machine Gun Board:) Ask there, you should have no problem finding the parts.

May 1, 2001, 05:01 PM
if you get all the right stuff from the Goverment then you mit be able to find a T17 Conversion Kit that the Military made to convert M1-Carbines into M2-Carbines.

James K
May 1, 2001, 09:59 PM
When doing a legal conversion or when buying spare parts for an M2 or M2 kit, look out for reproduction parts. Most of the parts at the shows are repro, and are too light and/or soft to stand up to FA fire. This applies especially to the thin repro disconnector levers but also to disconnectors, sears, and selectors. There is still a good supply of 15 round GI mags, but a lot of the 30 round are also repros and I have seen some that wouldn't go five rounds in FA without a jam.

In addition, you need a heavy M2 stock, 4 rivet handguard, round bolt, and new type recoil shield to make sure things stay together when shooting. It is also better not to convert a carbine that has a recoil spring tube, as sometimes the receiver will crack at the tube seat.

A word to the wise. In the U.S., ATF has been known to hang around gun shows and watch some guy buy conversion parts, then move in and make the arrest. The usual situation is that a dealer will avoid arrest by not having all the parts, so a buyer has to go to several dealers. When he has everything he needs, he finds something he very well doesn't need.


May 2, 2001, 09:53 PM
Gentalmen, Thank you for the input. What i thought was going to be a fun, inexpensive project perhaps is going to get complecated and expensive. But my grandfather and father always taught me a job worth doing is a job worth doing well.

Perhaps i'll put the M-1 project on hold for now.
I did look at a Colt M-4 today with Tasco site today. It was only $3200.00 at the gun shop..

Byron Quick
May 3, 2001, 07:38 AM
Probably not as expensive as complicated.

1) Get your ducks in a row with the government of Costa Rica.
2) Find out exactly what you need.
3) Find sources.
4) Buy them over the net and get them shipped to Costa Rica.
5) Do the work.

6) You might consider contacting ATF and ask them if anything else is needed to avoid arousing their ire. I'd hate to see them invade Costa Rica over a few bucks of parts:)

4V50 Gary
May 6, 2001, 10:49 PM
I don't think it is under ATF jurisdiction and the State Dept. controls the exports of firearms. Parts can be had (disconnector & its spring, modified operating handle, bolt, M2 trigger housing, hammer, etc.), but it's a matter of finding them.