View Full Version : Loose Plunger Tube

March 24, 2001, 03:49 PM
My 1911's plunger tube is loose,How does it attach? It looks like Hex head screws sort of,but I cannot get it tight.
It moves enough that the Safety Plunger will slip past the Thumb Safety,So I have to push the safety plunger in so I move the thumb safety.

What do I need to repair this.

Ken Cook
March 24, 2001, 05:35 PM
The plunger tube is attached to the frame staked pins.
The "pins" are actually hollow tubes that must be "swedged" (I know I didn't spell that right) into place.
It's POSSIBLE to do it at home, but much more likely that you'll just collapse the plunger tube. Take it to a RELIABLE gunsmith and let them re-stake it for you.
Shouldn't cost you much, and unless he's VERY busy, he may do it while you wait.
It only takes a few moments, a special fixture, and a special punch, but without that special fixture and punch, it's darned hard to do correctly.

March 27, 2001, 12:35 AM
You can degrease it and use red loctite on the staked pins ,if the gunsmith cannot get to it.

Jim V
March 27, 2001, 12:06 PM
stakes it back in place, red Locktite is a good idea too.