PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone I.D. this rifle?

Miguel de Newbie
November 9, 2015, 06:25 AM
This falling-block small caliber rifle is confounding many of us here in Montana....What the he[[ is this?

Salmoneye
November 9, 2015, 07:29 AM
Need better (larger) pics...

Mike Irwin
November 9, 2015, 11:43 AM
Other than it appearing to be a Winchester of some flavor, you'll have to provide larger pictures and also tell us what the markings are on the barrel and receiver.

FrankenMauser
November 9, 2015, 11:50 AM
Looks like a Winchester 1892, to me (not a falling-block).

HuntingLikeABadHabit
November 9, 2015, 11:51 AM
I have to agree with the above. It appears to be a Winchester of some sort or at least a close clone. Without some more info and/or better pics the world may never know. Any other numbers or marks? Underneath the receiver, on the tang or on the bbl would be a common spot for Winchesters.

James K
November 9, 2015, 02:14 PM
It is a Winchester 1892; the WP Winchester proof indicates it is not a clone. With those blurry pictures, it is hard to tell any more, though.

Jim

FrankenMauser
November 9, 2015, 11:53 PM
If you want more specific info, we'll need better photos and descriptions of all markings (since they often don't photograph well, especially on old firearms).

Hawg
November 10, 2015, 12:39 AM
1892 Winchester.

Miguel de Newbie
November 10, 2015, 05:51 AM
It has a half-the-barrel length magazine...it IS a falling block, the whole bolt-carrier assembly drops down, picks up next round, then comes up to feed the round. It does have a "22" mark on the bottom rifle where the lever pivots (possibly called the receiver?). And the "mark" almost looks home-made....I haven't seen a LOT of Winchester proofs, but, picture 1 ( sorry it's so small...dang 248k limit!!) can't even discern what letters are supposed to be!?!? I see a T, a -w or m for sure..."p" looks pretty obvious...or a upside down small d? Serial number is crystal clear....tee hee...go figure. After looking at my limited resources, I was leaning towards a Stevens or Marlin...I have more (hopefully larger and clearer)pix coming in now...post them soon....and thanks to y'all, this is a GREAT site to learn schtuff.!

Miguel de Newbie
November 10, 2015, 06:07 AM
So, James, that IS a Winchester proof? Kinda looks rough...I get the W...but what is the rest of those symbols? a "p or P" and is the vertical line connected to that tail on the p, or is it some sort of a "I"? Could you let me know where I might find that particular proof online? I sure thought I had seen damn near all of them....3 and 4 times :)

Salmoneye
November 10, 2015, 06:48 AM
I haven't seen a LOT of Winchester proofs, but, picture 1 ( sorry it's so small...dang 248k limit!!)

All of your pics are under 18kb

Hawg
November 10, 2015, 06:59 AM
So, James, that IS a Winchester proof? Kinda looks rough...I get the W...but what is the rest of those symbols? a "p or P" and is the vertical line connected to that tail on the p, or is it some sort of a "I"? Could you let me know where I might find that particular proof online? I sure thought I had seen damn near all of them....3 and 4 times

The proof is an overlapped WP in a circle and it stands for Winchester proofed. It is not a falling block as the bolt does not drop but slides straight back. If you do a google image search for Winchester proof marks you should get pages of pics. A 92 is easily identified by the two locking lugs seen on each side of the bolt.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/rebel727/my%20junk/lockinglugs.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/rebel727/media/my%20junk/lockinglugs.jpg.html)

Miguel de Newbie
November 10, 2015, 07:21 AM

Hawg
November 10, 2015, 07:42 AM
Definitely a 92.

Miguel de Newbie
November 10, 2015, 07:50 AM
This should help.

Mike Irwin
November 10, 2015, 08:28 AM
"It's a 92"

The exposed locking bolts indicate that it's a Winchester Model 92, chambered in a round like .25-20, .32-20, .38-40, or .44-40.

It's not a falling block, it's actually a lever-action repeater that employs vertical locking bolts and a reciprocating bolt.

Miguel de Newbie
November 10, 2015, 02:38 PM
Awesome...can't wait to tell the owner what he has...thanks to all of you for your help!