PDA

View Full Version : sig mosquito or

1hogfan83
October 14, 2014, 04:25 PM
I've sold several rifles mainly because we're moving and I haven't shot them in 6 months to a year. Now with a little extra jingle in the pocket, I'm thinking .22lr. I want a hammer fired pistol but is the Sig trustworthy. This won't be used for HD/PD, just for fun only.

Old Stony
October 14, 2014, 04:31 PM
I love Sig's and had one, but got rid of it because it was unreliable and shot erratically. I got a Walther and it did just fine. Now I have ordered a S&W M&P .22 compact with high hopes, and should have it in a day or two.

Snyper
October 14, 2014, 05:33 PM
Small "pocket" 22's are never "trustworthy" without trying several brands of ammo to make SURE they will cycle every time, and them keeping them VERY clean.

They can be quite finicky about ammo and dirt

HungryHunter
October 14, 2014, 05:44 PM
I have multiple Sig pistols, and stand by them. I can't find any use whatsoever for my mosquito though, including pretending to shoot it. I wouldn't sell that thing to my worst enemy. When I borrow a backhoe to build my home range I plan on stripping it and burrying it very deep. ..

microtrain
October 14, 2014, 06:58 PM
I have both the Sig Mosquito and S&W M&P pistol chambered in 22lr. I love them both. The Mosquito I have found not to be so picky as I have seen claimed on many many websites. Straight out of the box and to the range, fired 150 rounds of Remington 40gr Lead RN Thunder Bolt with out a hitch. Took my 14 year old daughter out the following week and except for a fast cleaning to fix key holing, she shot the balance of that 500 round box with only 1 FTF. A few weeks later we put an additional 320 rounds of Winchester 38gr copper hollow points down range. Again no mods, straight out of the manufactures box.

AKexpat
October 14, 2014, 07:14 PM
@ microtrain

I have both the Sig Mosquito and S&W M&P pistol chambered in 22lr. I love them both. The Mosquito I have found not to be so picky as I have seen claimed on many many websites. Straight out of the box and to the range, fired 150 rounds of Remington 40gr Lead RN Thunder Bolt with out a hitch.

OT, but I have never had a problem with Rem Thunderbolt ammo as many have derided. I don't have a Mosquito but have a 1911 parts gun with a Ciener .22 conversion kit and a 19# mainspring. I feeds and fires anything from Rem Subsonic to CCI Mini-Mags.

whanson_wi
October 14, 2014, 07:21 PM
I would look for something else. Our Mosquito is somewhat reliable with CCI minimags, and is a paperweight with everything else we've tried with it. It's ok for plinking, and is fine if you want to run clearing drills... but if I had to do it again, I'd have bought something else.

1hogfan83
October 14, 2014, 09:05 PM
Maybe the Walther it is.

Cheapshooter
October 14, 2014, 09:47 PM
Do you want a centerfire lookalike, or an accurate, and reliable target, and plinking gun?
The Sig, Walther, S&W, Ruger, and other full slide pistols are all similar in resemblance to "real" guns, and all similar in accuracy, and somewhat picky about he ammo you feed them.
There are other options that offer better accuracy, and improved reliability with a wider range of ammo.

Dragline45
October 14, 2014, 10:09 PM
If you want a hammer fired .22 get the Ruger SR22 and don't look back. Even though it's not what you are looking for you really cant go wrong with the Ruger 22/45, super reliable and they are tack drivers. I have an 8" plate set up at 50 yards sometimes to plink with a rifle and ill often pull out my 22/45 and can consistently hit it with ease shooting offhand.

BumbleBug
October 14, 2014, 10:58 PM
I suggest that you do a bit of research & then avoid the sig mosquito like the plague! That is unless you want to roll the dice & see if you're lucky enough to get one that functions reliably & has better than a 10lb trigger pull.

FWIW...

...bug

cryogenic419
October 15, 2014, 05:40 AM
I've got a Mosquito and will just say this. You can do better than this gun. The accuracy is decent however it is quite picky about the ammo you feed it, even when you feed it the "suggested" ammo. The trigger leaves a bit to be desired as well. I finally got mine running smoothly (for the moment) but for what these things cost and they should run ALOT better out of the box. Word is the "metal" these are made out of is complete garbage I honestly expected more with the Sig name on it. If you want more magazines for this thing be prepared to pay a hefty premium. The mags are solidly built and seem like they will last forever. Pity that they probably spent more on R&D for the mag design than they did the gun.

I know there are some folks who seem to have Sig's that work great out of the box, that seems to be the exception rather than the norm. Have run into 2 other Sig owners at the range and they had issues with theirs. The one exception was one of them has the threaded barrel model and says when he runs a suppressor on there it is less picky with ammo. Maybe they've worked out a few bugs over the years and have gotten slightly better but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Browning Buckmark, Ruger MkIII,22/45, SR22, S&W 22A and the M&P22, even the Beretta Neos. I've got friends/range buddies that all have one of these and they are happy with practically zero issues. I'm sure there are other good 22's out there just haven't had experience with those yet. You'd do better to go with one of these than you would a Sig.

AustinTX
October 15, 2014, 07:18 AM
Neither the "Sig" nor "Walther" are well-made guns. I put the names in quotes because the guns are not actually made by these companies, but by Umarex. The slides and many internal components are made of soft, cheap zinc alloy. These are $90 guns selling for $300+, and people wear them out frequently (cracked slides, etc.).

If you want to shoot .22 LR, buy one of the abovementioned Browning, Ruger, or Beretta pistols. It will probably outlive you. I know people with these guns who have been shooting 500+ trouble-free rounds per session several times per month for several years, and they have had no issues with their pistols. Each of them would have broken several Mosquitos or P22s over that same time.

pilpens
October 15, 2014, 07:34 AM
Skip the Sig Mosquito.
If small hammer fired, maybe a Ruger SR22 - I have one for teaching people with small hands. I do not like how the safety works (lever down for safe) but it is a minor thing for a fun gun.
I do not have much experience with the .22 1911s -- they maybe something to consider.
=======
Ruger MKII or MKIII, Browning Buckmark, Ruger 22/45 are good quality, reliable, accurate .22LRs but not hammer fired (exposed hammer).

Fishbed77
October 15, 2014, 08:06 AM
In my personal experience the Mosquito is cheaply made and unreliable gun that is seriously over-priced for what it is. My brother was given a brand new one (a friend won it) and when he opened the new box up at the FFL, the flimsy plastic sights were already broken. The trigger is pretty bad and it will only cycle HV .22 ammo.

A much better choice would be the Ruger SR22.

Buckeyeshooter
October 15, 2014, 09:10 AM
CZ Kadet Hands down above the Mos or walther if you insist on hammer fired. My friend has one and it is great weight, solid construction, and very accurate. A bit hard to find and costs more but worth it after shooting it with my friend. Or you can get a CZ75 9 or 40 and 22 conversion.

My same friends father had the mos and sent to Sig three times and they gave him credit towards another one of their pistols it was so bad. He still loves his sigs but no mos!

Walt Sherrill
October 15, 2014, 10:59 AM
CZ Kadet Hands down above the Mos or walther if you insist on hammer fired.

CZ has discontinued the CZ Kadet, but you can still get the Kadet Kit if you have a 75B. (The Kadet [the standalone .22 handgun] is pretty expensive, too -- it's a full-size CZ-75B with a .22 conversion kit on the top. Unhappily, you'll have a hard time finding a 9mm upper for that gun, and CZ won't sell you one.)

I'd go Ruger -- either the Mark II or Mark III, or the newer SR-22. Arguably as good any any of the other "better" .22s, and Ruger's customer service is hard to beat.

weblance
October 15, 2014, 11:06 AM
My Mosquito has been 100% and the newer ones have a good reputation for running reliably. The Zamac construction could be a longevity issue, but there arent really many reports of slide failures with the Mosquito, as there are with the P22. If you want a good hammer fired 22 pistol, consider the Bersa Thunder 22. It has a steel slide, and an aluminum frame. It is the equal of the SR22P IMHO. I have both, and they both run very reliably, and are very fun pistols to plink with. There arent many external hammer 22 pistols made today, and even less full size ones. Most are micro, or compact size. Of the 1911-22 pistols, only the Kimber and Browning are aluminum, and the Armscor is steel. The rest are Zamac.

Armscor XT-22 (https://us.armscor.com/products/xt-22-standard)

Buckeyeshooter
October 15, 2014, 12:25 PM
You can find used Kadets around. I did not mention converting a kadet to a 9mm since it is not advised even if you file the upper slide to fit. Just not a good idea. My advise is by a good reliable working gun that lasts a lifetime., because a problem gun will last a lifetime too and have lower resale value if you ever have to get rid of it for some reason.

If you want very nice a Kimber 22 target pistol is very nice and holds value.

If you want to go hammer less i would go for the Mark III Ruger. All steel and dont worry about striping it if you hear horror stories there are a ton of videos on youtube to show you the tricks.

Any of these three are reliable, fun, and built to hand down to the generations.

Darker Loaf
October 15, 2014, 01:10 PM
I know you, the OP, wants a hammer fired .22 LR pistol... I'd look to a revolver then. The only new, reliable .22 LR pistols I know of personally are Rugers Mark III's or 22/45's, Browning Buckmarks, or Beretta Neos.

The Sig Mosquito I bought was one of the most disappointing guns I've ever bought. It was a jam-o-matic. Do not buy.

Fishbed77
October 15, 2014, 01:33 PM
I know you, the OP, wants a hammer fired .22 LR pistol

The Ruger Mark III and Browning Buck Mark are both hammer-fired, and to be honest, they are far and away the best pistols you'll find in this price/size class. They are both reliable designs that shoot great and will last a lifetime.

Actually, I can't think of any .22 pistols that aren't hammer-fired.

weblance
October 16, 2014, 12:14 AM
Actually, I can't think of any .22 pistols that aren't hammer-fired.

The Beretta Neos is striker fired.

RKG
October 16, 2014, 07:46 AM
Another vote for the SR22. Do yourself a favor and try one out before buying anything.

Walt Sherrill
October 16, 2014, 08:48 AM
...If you want to go hammer less i would go for the Mark III Ruger...

As noted in a response above, the Mark III has a hammer, too -- but you just can't thumb cock it. (It's internal.)

That hammer is one of the things that make the Mark I, II, and III a pain to reassemble: getting the hammer aligned properly during reassembly.

MarkCO
October 16, 2014, 08:57 AM
There are several good options...but as much as I like SIG pistols, the Mosquito is not worth messing with. Finicky, terrible trigger pull. It only enjoys status as the pistol I owned for the least amount of time.

There is a reason the Rugers and Buckmarks enjoy the #1 and #2 spots among use in the action rimfire sports. Yes, the Neos and Smiths are making some inroads, but the Ruger and Buckmarks are like small block chevys and fords...LOTS of aftermarket support and accessories.

You could just get a Volquartsen and call it good. :D

Old Stony
October 16, 2014, 09:05 AM
I got my new M&P Compact .22 yesterday and tried it out using Federal bulk ammo. It functioned great and I really like it so far. I still need to do some bench work to sight it in a little better, but I was holding it on a 2" target sticker at 7 yds. offhand with it just grouping a little to the left. Nice little pistol and feels like it was made to fit anyone's hand.

walks with gun
October 16, 2014, 09:17 AM
Look for something that say's Ruger or Browning on it, the little SIG is a nice feeling and looking gun but that's about all the good I can say about it.

skizzums
October 16, 2014, 09:32 AM
I know it's not what you were asking at all, but I have the ruger lite sr22 and the beretta neos and an old iver Johnson trailsman. I honestly like them all equally for different reasons. the iver Johnson is small but heavy, but can fit in a pocket if needed. the neo's is a fine pistol, but incredibly long and a little akward, the sr22 is built extremely well and very accurate, but is picky with ammo. I usually suggest the beretta neo for new 22 shooter because of the price point. academy has them for under 250 no matter what barrel length you choose and it feeds whatever so far.

I, like most others, don't understand the motivation to buy a copy of a duty gun to shoot .22s, a gun should be built around the cartridge it's shooting, not just to look like something it's not. a .22 pistol should be an accurate target or hunting gun.

Darker Loaf
October 16, 2014, 02:12 PM
A 22/45 Lite with Volquarsten (Mark II) guts makes for a stellar pistol. Also, VQ is now doing stuff with Browning Buckmarks... another good way to go.

Honestly, the Sig Mosquito is what broke me on .22 LR pistols. I sold a perfectly good working Buckmark (though I'd had parts failures, I fixed or replaced them all after 10,000's of rounds) to upgrade to a more "adult/tacticool" looking/functioning gun. After the failures of that Mosquito, I swore off .22 LR pistols for years...

Even my 22/45 Lite was problematic until it received some custom work from VQ.

motorhead0922
October 16, 2014, 03:55 PM
For me, one factor would be whether the gun can be dry-fired without damage. The owner's manual of the M&P22 says not to dry fire; with the SR22, dry fire is okay. I wouldn't consider a gun I couldn't dry fire.

Walt Sherrill
October 16, 2014, 04:09 PM
MOST .22s shouldn't be dry-fired. Ruger builds has always used a firing pin stop that keeps the FP from damaging the chamber. In fact, you MUST dry-fire the Ruger MKI-MKII to disassemble it. But, with a lot of dry fires, that part can wear and the firing pin can still damage the chamber. (It's not a common problem, but it can happen.)

If you don't have a Ruger (or a gun that they specifically tell you can be dry-fired) you can get snap caps. Some folks say they use the small plastic pieces (Drywall anchors?) used to hold screws in drywall to protect the chamber.

Pyzon
October 19, 2014, 11:16 AM
I think you should buy the Mosquito. In fact, I think you should buy my son's Mosquito, so he can put the money towards a nice Ruger MkII he says his eye on. That way when shooting it he can concentrate on shooting instead of farting around getting that Mosquito to actually work like Sig promised. And no, MiniMags are not the secret either. Mosquito's just plain suck.

skywag
October 19, 2014, 11:45 AM
Finally, there is a handgun to receive the title, "Worst handgun ever made!"

Sig "Mosquito."

hoss1969
October 19, 2014, 04:52 PM
Ruger SR22 would be my choice.

Ibmikey
October 19, 2014, 07:40 PM
My experience with the Mosquito was less than stellar. My MP .22 compact is the neatest little pistol I have come across lately, my Walther made MP.22 also is totally reliable but the S&W "Compact beats it hands down

tallball
October 19, 2014, 09:22 PM
I got a Mosquito brand-new for $199 and it was still a bad deal. It's rare to shoot a full magazine without a malfunction. My best 22 handguns have been revolvers. Most of them hold nine rounds these days. A good one will have a trigger and sights equal to or better than any semi-auto. A 22 is a rimmed round that is much better suited to revolvers.

stmcelroy
October 19, 2014, 10:43 PM
Recently traded into a Walther P22 and actually prefer it to my Browning Buckmark.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/stmcelroy/Guns/e2b8ddec-a315-4bd6-bbee-9956ab6e752c_zps50b378df.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/stmcelroy/media/Guns/e2b8ddec-a315-4bd6-bbee-9956ab6e752c_zps50b378df.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/stmcelroy/Kydex%20Holsters/bd369fbd-850e-4d5c-931f-aaf890b095c0_zps5bd77f34.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/stmcelroy/media/Kydex%20Holsters/bd369fbd-850e-4d5c-931f-aaf890b095c0_zps5bd77f34.jpg.html)

t45
October 21, 2014, 08:54 PM
I've not had any issues with my Sig Mosquito. I keep it clean and feed it what it likes. Its a fun little pistol. I think the earlier guns had more issues than the newer ones.

creepyNinja
October 27, 2014, 02:00 PM
Sig must have been on crack when they named this gun. i personally wouldn't want a gun that's called "mosquito"

wvshooter
November 1, 2014, 09:42 PM
My Mosquito cycles reliably but unless you're firing it with the hammer fully cocked the trigger is terrible. Did I say terrible, yes it's terrible. I don't agree with some previous posters that the gun is junk.

Busted Knuckle
November 15, 2014, 12:35 AM
We bought a Skeeter for my daughter a couple years ago . With the same number of rounds through it, our sr22 or 22/45 the little Sig has had the least # of issues. @ least a 1000 rounds through each and each have had less than dozen if half that ftf, FTE etc
She loved the purple frame of the Sig and I noticed the "ledge" above the feed ramp at the chamber was smooth, no ledge to trip up incoming rounds. Ours runs fine. Good luck

Spooler41
December 18, 2014, 01:05 AM
I've got to say up front, I love my Mosquito. I used HV rounds for the first
500/600 rnds., after that it would eat just about any thing I would load into it.
I did discover during breakin that it didn't like naked lead bullets or subsonic rnds.. At that point all I bought for it were plated HV rounds. I've put about
3000 rounds through it now, 99+% problem free, I also keep it clean and well lubricated.
It's only gotten better with age. I've had no regrets with the Mosquito.

.......................... Jack

Big4Freedom
January 8, 2015, 08:16 AM
I just got a mosquito a few months ago and worst thing in collection. Avoid unless $50. I needed something with threaded barrel so I went with it, as I'm huge Sig fan. Horrible gun. The Sw mp 22 eats everything and great. Walter p22 is awesome with high velocity stuff only but a pain to reassemble. Ruger sr22 is good but not as good as Walter, but eats nearly everything. If it were me, if buy new Sw mp22 compact, and prob will soon...

Cheapshooter
January 8, 2015, 01:07 PM
CZ Kadet Hands down
Search for an expensive used, discontinued gun, or buy a $400 conversion kit and a $600 gun to put it in.
OR
For a few more options, look at the the Ruger SR-22, GSG 1911-22, or the down sized Browning 1911-22 if you insist on a hammer fired 22.

I have a Walther P22, and with the right ammo it has been reliable, and reasonably accurate. I've heard all the complaints about the Mosquito, similar to the same complaints about the Walther. The only experience I have with one is shooting a used one my friend just bought. After a little experimentation with finding ammo it liked, it shot very well. Well enough in fact that I will probably be buying one.
For something more accurate, in the line of a target pistol, give up on the hammer guns, and look at the Ruger MK series, or Browning Buckmark.

aarondhgraham
January 8, 2015, 01:20 PM
I won't bash the Mosquito,,,
Because I don't own one of them.

I will however praise my Ruger SR-22,,,
It has not malfunctioned at all.

For a duty style DA/SA pistol it has everything,,,
External hammer, decocker safety,,,
And second strike capability.

If that particular Mosquito works for you,,,
And if you like how it handles,,,
To heck with the naysayers,,,
Buy it.

But look at and handle an SR-22 first,,,
Just because it a great pistol as well.

Aarond

shaunpain
January 8, 2015, 02:47 PM
I got a Mosquito in a "two-for" deal that I've mildly shot with the only .22 I can ever find at Cabela's, CCI Minimag. Probably needless to say, I have had very few issues with it. I don't expect much out of any .22 pistol so it runs acceptably for me. The only time I've ever shot a Ruger Mark II I had nothing but problems with it. YMMV.

herdman
January 8, 2015, 09:56 PM
I have a M&P 22 and recommend it. I run cheap Thunderbolt 22LR ammo and don't have any issues.

The Ruger SR22 is also a good looking and reliable gun from what I am told. I would like to have one of those as well.

WyMark
January 8, 2015, 10:56 PM
I love my Mosquito, but I can't say it's problem free. I bought it used because it's got the same controls and is only a little smaller than my P228. That was back when it was a lot cheaper to shoot .22 than 9mm. I've gone out to the range with two 525 boxes of Federal .22 and then drove back to Walmart to buy a few more, then back to the range to shoot them up. Of course that was when you could walk into Walmart and buy a few boxes of .22 when you wanted.

I get some FTF and FTEs from almost every mag, I have four mags and can empty them all in less than a minute. If I get a stovepipe or fte I rack it and fire. When it gets to where it doesn't function well enough it goes to the gun smith for a bath in the ultra sonic cleaner. I have found that some of my mags sometimes work flawlessly when others feed about 50% of the time, that's when they all get a good soaking.

The main problem I've had is with the trigger, and that's mostly the difference in the reset between it and my P228. If I shoot the Mosquito first and then move to the center fire lane, I get a lot of unintended double taps, which is a real problem since it is unintended and happens very fast, like when the muzzle is still tilted up from the recoil of the first shot. I've only ever had this happen when I shoot a few hundred rounds of .22 and then shoot my 228, and I'm sure it has something to do with the difference in trigger reset.

I don't know that I'd buy it again, though.

peggysue
January 10, 2015, 07:07 PM
22LR pistols can be picky with brands. I find CCI MinMax is more consistent.