PDA

View Full Version : Glock 22 slinging brass more up than to the right!

Wreck-n-Crew
February 17, 2014, 07:56 PM
Got a good deal on a G 22. took it in to try it out and my neighbors at the range were ducking for cover. I know many have complained about brass to the face with some gen 4's but what about to the neighbors face!

Got so bad the guy 2 stalls over asked me which one was doing it. I pointed to the middle one, the G22. After 2 mags I had to give up!. FWIW the Glock 23 gen 2 I had shot as accurate with just a smidgen more muzzle climb.

It's in great shape, shot very little. Makes me wonder if this is more common in some gen 3's?

Here's the culprit:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/recncru1/Mobile%20Uploads/7c94c360-9597-48ef-b9d3-fd58ed2c538c.jpg

Was thinking of switching to the Trijicons on the G 23, but thought better of it.

TunnelRat
February 17, 2014, 08:22 PM
Since when is strong ejection to the right a bad thing?

Wreck-n-Crew
February 17, 2014, 08:35 PM
Unusual ejection I should say. Going up and over the barriers and hitting them in the head. Instead of off the wall or back to the right they are going up and over. Bouncing off the ceiling.

AndyWest
February 17, 2014, 10:45 PM
Is the G22 new or used? What ammo are you using? Could a stronger recoil spring possibly help tame the ejection?

Sarge
February 17, 2014, 11:05 PM
Glock's position on this is that as long as extractor and ejector get the fired case out of the way, they have done their jobs. Or so they told us at the last Armorer school.

FWIW I have spent significant range time around at least 3 dozen Gen 3's. They toss bras pretty high with common loads and they eject hot loads with vigor. This is much better than clearing stove-pipes.

SHE3PDOG
February 17, 2014, 11:25 PM
Ya, I just can't see this as being a real issue with the gun. It is doing exactly what it is supposed to, it just happens to be doing it in a way bothersome to others.

AndyWest
February 17, 2014, 11:40 PM
I don't own a .40 Glock so I could be out-of-line here, but why not try a recoil spring a couple pounds heavier if ejection is the complaint? Agreed harder ejections are far preferable to stovepipes. I also enjoy tinkering a bit and trying (SAFE) modifications.

Wreck-n-Crew
February 17, 2014, 11:47 PM
I appreciate the replies guys.
Is the G22 new or used? Lightly used (less than five hundred).
What ammo are you using?
1 magazine of Federals and one mag of PMC Bronze.

Glock's position on this is that as long as extractor and ejector get the fired case out of the way, they have done their jobs. Or so they told us at the last Armorer school. So it is one of the improved "brass to the face" ones? Makes since I guess. I only had one round hit me on top of the head after bouncing of the ceiling and partition. I can adjust where I stand to get the brass to bounce where I want it I guess..:D MJ move over;)

Ya, I just can't see this as being a real issue with the gun. It is doing exactly what it is supposed to, it just happens to be doing it in a way bothersome to others. I will adjust I guess. I did with My pt145 slinging brass so far it was hard to find! Just found where the sweet spot was and bounced it off the wall to keep it in my area....lol. The things we go through just to go shoot a gun!

SHE3PDOG
February 18, 2014, 12:16 AM
The things we go through just to go shoot a gun!

Truer words were never spoken.

Idaho Spud
February 18, 2014, 03:53 AM
My Glock 23 Gen 3 was terrible in that regard. Line drives to the kisser every mag. After about a year I replaced the ejector with a Gen 4, problems over. I hated that gun, now it's a good friend.

jasmith85
February 18, 2014, 09:30 AM
I had a similar problem with my Gen 3 Glock 21. My 21 didn't throw the brass at the people to my right though. It just threw the brass really high and they would usually either land on me or a few inches to my right. I got tired of it and sold the gun and bought a Gen 4 Glock 19. The 19 did even worse. It didn't throw high but the casings from it hit me more consistently than the casings from the 21. I then sold the 19 and have no intention of buying another Glock.

The 21 that I had was manufactured in November 2012 and the 19 was January 2013 if I remember correctly. You might check the manufacture date on yours and if its near that time period maybe they just put out some bad batches during that time.

pilpens
February 20, 2014, 08:47 AM
If the brass is hitting your neighbor to the right, then the pistol is good.
If the brass hits the shooter's head/face, then try an ejector change or tuning.

Willie Lowman
February 20, 2014, 08:58 AM
A friend of mine has a Gen 2 17L that throws brass over the shooter's right shoulder and sometimes into the shooter's face.

Tactical Jackalope
February 20, 2014, 10:54 AM
As long as it doesn't bother the operator. All is well. ;)

Yes... Even muzzle breaks / flash hiders. I'm that guy. :o

Snyper
February 20, 2014, 12:33 PM
It sounds to ma like more of a range problem than a gun problem.
They could simply add some covering over the top of the stalls to solve it

Brian Pfleuger
February 20, 2014, 12:39 PM
I would replace the ejector and get a wolf recoil spring kit. No sense in throwing brass across the room when you could get 5ft and 100% reliability.

TunnelRat
February 20, 2014, 12:52 PM
This is a minor gripe of mine. The local range I use is decent but nothing fancy. There are no stalls with built up walls (I'm a poet). There are just long benches from which to shoot. This means sometimes you get hit with brass. I see some people get all hot and bothered by it. I'm not normally one to say this, but some people need to man up. It's a gun range.

One time I was shooting my pistol standing and a man who arrived at the range and chose to sit on my right with a rifle. As expected some brass started hitting him. I did all I could to move further away or angle my gun so as to not hit him with brass, but frankly it still hit him. At one point he turned and gave me a nasty look. I looked him right in the face and said, "I'm sorry and if you have some sort of solution to this I'm all ears." He looked away a bit embarrassed and said it was fine. At this point the bench was full of people and there was no place for him to move to. I thought about switching our positions but we were both well set up where we were and the line would have had to stop for a while.

Am I suggesting people be deliberately annoying? No, of course not. But if the others on the range want some sort of pristine experience where they never get hit with brass they can either find a different range or buy property where they can build a private one.