PDA

View Full Version : colt 1927

Gundynasty
February 3, 2014, 07:59 PM
http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz120/Gun_Dynasty/Mobile%20Uploads/003_zpsd1453e3a.jpg
bought this firearm awhile back, i have done some research on it. i thank it is the original finish, also i have original mag, and i cannot find any import marks. but i would like some other opinions please. it does not have original hand grips,but if anyone knows were i could purchase i would appreciate it. so my questions are

is it original finish?
see any import marks i have looked all over?
where to buy grips?
and of course value?

I am new to this board, so thanks in advance for the help & info.

Jim Watson
February 3, 2014, 08:17 PM
Not a Colt, but a licensed copy made in Argentina. Good quality.

They were blued, so that might be the original finish, hard to tell in a dull photo. When the Argentines refinished them, they Parkerized.

Mine had black plastic grip panels but I do not know if they were original or Argie replacements.

Aguila Blanca
February 3, 2014, 09:33 PM
Jim is correct, the pistol is an Argentinean Sistema, not a Colt. They are excellent pistols.

Gundynasty
February 3, 2014, 09:46 PM
yes i apologize i should have posted as such

cecILL
February 4, 2014, 07:33 AM
How about $500 for value.

Aguila Blanca
February 4, 2014, 09:14 AM
I think $500 is low. I've seen refinished Sistemas in worse condition sell for $500. I don't have a better number, though.

Gundynasty
February 4, 2014, 10:23 AM
yes, i have seen the same prices. i have not seen a original finish no import mark sistema sell to give me a better idea (if thats what it is).

psyfly
February 4, 2014, 10:33 AM
I agree that $500 is too low. These are considered by many to be Colt in every way except geography (not made in Hartford). Never likely to have the same kind of collector value in general.

Good historical information here:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=68064

I suspect yours has been re-blued at some point. Most of the early Sistemas (yours was made, per serial number, in 1951) are pretty much "in the white" by now.

But that's definitely a lay opinion.

I have two of them. One, made in 1948, is among the half-dozen most accurate pistols I own and has been 100% reliable for the 30 or so years I've owned it. Original finish is mostly gone. The other was re-finished by Marcati when it was converted to .22lr in the 70s.

The two I own appear to me to be as well made as any of my four Hartford Colts and have, just for grins, swapped slides with the Colts w/o consequence.

Best,

Will

gyvel
February 5, 2014, 12:03 PM
When the Argentines refinished them, they Parkerized.

Some were Parkerized, most have been reblued at one or more times in their lives.

I purchased one in 1972 (late 40s production) that was original finish, and it was comparable to the prevailing finish that Colt used on their guns at that time, but only about 65% of the finish remained.

RX-79G
February 5, 2014, 12:28 PM
If dealers are selling these for $500, I don't see how that price is low.

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/colt1911a11930original-bestgrade-1-1-1.aspx

psyfly
February 5, 2014, 01:34 PM
Dealers?

Please post if you have a link to another one. These appear to be all gone.

I wanted one. I was told to call back on Friday but the clerk wasn't optimistic ("...orders are backlogged and not sure we can fill all that have come in. We only had a handful left...").

Dang.

Will

Chris_B
February 5, 2014, 02:51 PM
:) Knew immediately from the thread title what it was going to be. I'd love to have one for my collection.

Gundynasty
February 5, 2014, 03:46 PM
i did a little more research, said these were lightly sanded before original finish was put on and you should be able to see the horizontal lines (which i can see) i am going to try to post more pics. your opinions are greatly appreciated, and thanks for all the help!!!

still cant find the import marks

psyfly
February 5, 2014, 03:59 PM
cant find the import marks

There may not be any. Mine have none.

Depends when they came into the country.

W.

2ndsojourn
February 5, 2014, 04:09 PM
Do these have much collector value? Mine's in nice shape ( 80%+...I believe original) except for an area under the slide, about 3/8", that has some moderate pitting. I was thinking of having it re-finished into a nice looking gun but don't want to ruin it from a collector standpoint. But with the pitted spot I'm thinking it doesn't have much collector value anyway. To me, right now, it's just a shooter, and my bedside gun. It's one of the guns I inherited when my dad passed away so I have no money in it.

Gundynasty
February 5, 2014, 04:23 PM
http://rs819.pbsrc.com/albums/zz120/Gun_Dynasty/Mobile%20Uploads/005_zpsadad2ec2.jpg~320x480http://rs819.pbsrc.com/albums/zz120/Gun_Dynasty/Mobile%20Uploads/002_zps0900da7b.jpg~320x480http://rs819.pbsrc.com/albums/zz120/Gun_Dynasty/Mobile%20Uploads/004_zps37a6ede0.jpg~320x480
also noticed barrel is not polished

jmstr
February 5, 2014, 06:16 PM
I bought one of those from Cruffler.com around 2001. It was imported by JLD Enterprises. Cruffler quit selling guns and quit having new articles on their website around 2005, until around now. On one of the pages is a link for JLD Enterprises and colt-style M1911s, but the link is broken. That IS where mine was bought.

My research indicates that JLD Enterprises is now PTR Industries, and a search for JLD Enterprises is about useless. However, they are the ones that imported my Sistema in 2001.

At the time I spent about $300 on it, plus shipping.

E-Sarcoinc.com seems to still have a few for sale, you just have to call in to order.

Generally I see them listed as a Sistema 1911, due to the name on the side: Sistema Modelo 1927. Every bit as good of steel and machining as Colt, supposedly.

I don't care for GI spec, so I have butchered mine and love it. Can't show pictures, as it is two processes away from the final version [checkering and refinish].

Great guns.

As to current value, I don't know. Other have good insight.

I am a functionalist. I am not a collector. Well, I will only collect things I am willing to use [when it comes to firearms]. Thus, I'd spend $600 to get a railed RIA Tactical with a lifetime warranty and beavertail GS over spending the same on this for a mediocre trigger out of the box due to the age of the sear/hammer, and to hammer bite.

That's me: YMMV.

Aguila Blanca
February 5, 2014, 06:53 PM
If dealers are selling these for $500, I don't see how that price is low.
Did you read any of the comments?

This is a Project Gun
Andrew Selking (Fort Huachuca, AZ) 10/17/2013 4:13 PM
When you purchase an original finish pistol, it really doesn't have any finish left. I was expecting something with honest holster wear, but this looks more like somebodey deliberately removed all the finish with steel wool. The lack of finish made it look like it was chrome plated. On the positive side, it's a shooter. It digested 100 round without a hitch and was fairly accurate to boot. This is a project gun. If I had to do it over, I would probably buy the medium grade and save the $50.00, since it needs to be refinished. If you just want a 1911A1, you can probably find a new version for less than it would cost to get this one back in shape. If,on the other hand, you're a sucker for a well made firearm and willing to invest something, this might be for you.

Colt Model 1927
Frank Giganti (Yankton, SD) 11/25/2013 11:18 PM
Nice piece of history!! Circa 1948. Ordered best available and was told that meant the example was matching. The finish was all but gone, however, overall condition was very good. Barrel was in excellent shape. Hope the supply lasts, want another one. Will hit the range as soon as feasible.

Great pistol for the money!
Pat dugan (Plattsmouth, NE) 3/25/2013 11:12 AM
Ordered one of these in best grade so my son can learn how to shoot a 45 without breaking the bank. Pistol received had excellent markings, all matching numbers, no finish left and is pretty solid. Only bad thing I found is the barrel is just about "shot out" meaning the rifling is almost completely gone. Quick fix with a replacement barrel and we are off to the range for training. Great buy for the money. Thanks Sarco!
Plus, the OP's has no import marks. If sarco just brought theirs in, they will have import marks, and pistols without import marks always have higher value.

psyfly
February 5, 2014, 08:11 PM
Plus ( see #11 ), Sarco doesn't seem to have any :o.