PDA

View Full Version : Is the STi Edge worth the extra $ over the Trojan

Varekai
February 1, 2014, 09:16 AM
I have narrowed a my choice of guns between an STI Edge and STi Trojan, either in .40 cal. I really like the edge for the recoil reduction and extra capacity mags (plus I like the look of the full length dust cover), but was wondering for those of you who may have happened to have shot both if they thought the extra grand is worth it for the Edge. Trying to justify the price difference.

ShaulWolf
February 1, 2014, 07:31 PM
The Trojan looks like a nice 1911, though I haven't had a chance to shoot it. I've had a chance to run an Edge through a USPSA match and have shot an Eagle a few times as well. I really enjoyed the Edge, and it made .40's that were loaded for majors feel like a light 9mm. The Eagle had a little less recoil management, but was still a very tame pistol to shoot using the same loads.

I really like 1911's, but after getting used to 15+1 from my M&P40 it's hard to want to cut that mag capacity in half. I really liked being able to run a 1911 platform with the same dimensions of a single stack while still having 17+1 while using 140mm mags.

GLI45
February 2, 2014, 04:51 PM
You've mentioned two excellent, but pretty different pistols in both style, shooting "feel", and price. What's your intended use? If you are intending to carry I would recommend the Trojan. It's slim profile, even as a full size, makes carry easier. I own both and find each to be excellent. The Trojan is an excellent 1911 and IMHO you'd be hard pressed to find better in the $1100 price range. It's accurate, smooth, and makes for an excellent range or single stack competition pistol. As with all the STI pistols I own it has an excellent crisp trigger with very little travel and the frame to slide fit is tight yet very smooth.

The Edge is a step up. I shoot mine in USPSA Limited competition and that's it primary function. For me it was worth the extra money. It's smooth as glass and stunningly accurate. The bull barrel and full dust cover make it more nose heavy than the Trojan, but that serves make recoil management easier so it's quicker on second shots. Of all my STI 1911 and 2011 pistols it's my personal favorite. It's also the pistol that led to STI's excellent reputation among USPSA/IPSC shooters.

They are both excellent pistols and I'm sure you will be pleased with either. The guys in STI build really nice pistols. It really depends on what you want it for.

cmemiss
February 2, 2014, 07:48 PM
I've had both and as others have said, it depends on use. The Edge is a great competition gun, but since I wasn't shooting USPSA I let mine go. The Trojan is a really good production single stack. The only thing I would say that might detract from the Trojan is that it has a cast frame, but I haven't heard of any problems with that. STI does make SS with forged frames, add $4-500.

Varekai
February 2, 2014, 11:41 PM
Thank you for the reply. It's going to be for home defense, and I would like to do some range shooting, and if I really get into it who knows maybe competition shooting one day. As far as concealed carry goes I don't plan on bringing it everywhere. The only time it would come with me is in the car if Im going to a bad area that I know of, or when I take my dogs for a walk when I get home from work around midnight. I also want my fiance to be able to shoot it so that is another reason I was looking at the recoil reduction of the Edge if it was a significant difference from the Trojan.

ShaulWolf
February 2, 2014, 11:56 PM
If you can afford an Edge, why not look into the Eagle? While the front end of the Eagle isn't as heavy as the Edge, it still handled some super hot .40's better than my M&P40 handles my usual reloads. Super hot, as in the primers were starting to flatten against the breach face. On top of that, you could still use it as a carry gun if you chose to do so down the road.

Varekai
February 3, 2014, 12:08 AM
I love the look of the full length dust cover. If it weren't for that I would just go with the Trojan and put a recoil master in it.

pilpens
February 3, 2014, 09:53 AM
I have a STI Trojan in 9mm and have shot a friend's STI Edge in 9mm.
The Trojan is a very good 1911 and I like it just fine. I like the Edge more than the Trojan. Recoil with the edge is milder than with the Trojan and the grip felt better, too, BUT the price is too much for one gun for me.
The Trojan is plenty for recreational target shooting and can easily double as home-defense firearm. Many compete with Trojan 1911s and are happy with the performance.
Things about the Trojan:
1. is that the bluing wears off fast; normal with bluing but it would be nice if the finish was tougher or if gun is SS.
2. must ensure that magazine when inserted in the frame does not touch the ejector. This may only be true for the 9mms. I have seen it personally on 3 Trojan 9s. It is easy to fix.

To sum up, unless I have a specific use for the Edge, I would go with the 5" Trojan and keep or use savings for something else.

===
Just me: STI Edge in .40 would be a very nice pistol to have but I would rather have a 9mm Trojan 5" for the home/range and a commander sized 1911 (maybe Sig Sauer) for home/range and possible CC.

Varekai
February 3, 2014, 12:07 PM
Well speaking of finish, if I were to get the trojan I was going to get it hard chromed since the Trojan is cheaper.

Varekai
February 7, 2014, 07:35 PM
Think I'm going to go with the Trojan. Had to use some of my tax return towards unexpected bills. Also one big thing that I was looking for was all steel, which I thought the Edge was. I didnt realize the whole grip was polymer, I thought just the grips were. Trojan is fully steel. I'm probably going to order it from Dawson and Ill see if they can customize the Trojan with the Bull barrel and recoil master so I still get some nice kick reduction.