View Full Version : AK Optics Mount

April 24, 2013, 03:07 AM
Ok I feel very stupid for the question I am about to ask but I was wondering what the proper term is for the side mount found on AKs for optics, the true Russian version not the extended rails kind. Not the part on the gun itself but the part that attaches to it. I feel dumber the more I type, help...

Thinking about putting a reflex sight on my WASR and I want to do it in true East Bloc fashion :cool:

April 24, 2013, 07:12 AM
To this day, optics are not standard issue to most AK74/47. Your best chance of going authentic is to find a surplus eastern bloc scope with the side mount. I see them at large gun shows.
If you want a separate side mount for your own red dot, you will be back to where you started. Dog leg pics tinny mounts are what is sold widely in the former USSR.
The term used in Russian is "kronshteyn", a technical term for a support structure. It probably won't help much with your project.
I may not have the absolute latest, but generally optics were reserved for the sniper rifles not the run of the mill AK like yours.
Good luck with your project.

Edit: read "picatinny"