View Full Version : Recommend me a .22LR scope

March 20, 2013, 06:46 AM
Hi everyone!!

I just picked up a Magnum Research MLR-1722 which is a .22LR semi automatic rifle based on the 10/22.

I'm looking for an inexpensive scope. I shoot 95% of the time indoors at 25 yards. The other 5% is outdoor at 100 yards. I'm not a hunter and I only shoot paper targets. Can anyone suggest a specific scope that's around $100? Thanks!!!!!

March 20, 2013, 08:47 AM
I use a $3.00 fixed 4 power yard sale scope. It has been on my 10/22 for, at least, fifteen years and serves me well. I don't care to use those tiny scopes designed for 22s. This is a regular rifle scope.

March 20, 2013, 01:25 PM
I've got a couple of BSA 4 power scopes on some of my old and mostly worn out 22's, and they have held up well. Less than $30, if I remember correctly. On the 'good' 22's, I have old Leupold 2-7's. If I had to buy a new scope for the 22, I think I'd get the Nikon variable for 22's with the BDC dots for 75 and 100 yards. It's more than you have allocated, but might be worth the extra money.

March 20, 2013, 01:39 PM
Waiting for the funds to try this one out myself. I understand that it is a good performer. Ballistics are already dialed in for distance.

March 26, 2013, 12:40 PM
I have a sweet .22. They work great if you have the correct ammo, but you must go though a trial and error process to find that ammo. If you can't find ammo that matches your gun/scope combo with the present shortages you can sight it just like a normal scope until you get a chance.


March 27, 2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I will be ordering this fairly shortly. Wohoo! At any rate, what ammo Brand did you find that worked the best with this scope? The site states; "50 to 175 yards Bullet drop precisely calculated to compensate for the elliptic drop of a 36, 38 & 40 grain .22 bullet" Do I need to get more specific than that?


March 27, 2013, 11:09 PM
Cabelas had the Nikon Prostaff 4X rimfire for $80 recently, check that out.

March 27, 2013, 11:30 PM
Vortex Crossfire 2-7x32 - $120


Weaver Rimfire Classic 4x28 - $120


Nikon P-22 2-7x32 - $150


I have the Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 on my Mauser and I couldn't be happier with the quality for the price. Clear glass, nice reticle, excellent eye relief (mine cost $140) plus it has an unlimited lifetime warranty!!

Let us know what you decide on! Shoot Safe!!

March 28, 2013, 11:06 PM
I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40mm scope on my Remington 597. It is clear, bright and I think it is perfect for my 22lr Remmy.

March 29, 2013, 09:59 PM
It has all three bullet weights marked on the turret. Every guns different. My 10/22 with at 17 in. Tactical solutions bull barrel likes cci 36g mini mags. My stock 18.5 in. barreled 10/22 likes cci 40g mini mags. I also have bulk fed 36g and remi 36g golden bullets that are "close".

Edit... I thought I'd add. If you find the right ammo you should be able to hit a spinner every time that's a hair larger than the groups your gun shoots.

March 29, 2013, 10:19 PM
Cant go wrong with the Nikon Prostaff fixed scopes - mine works great!

March 29, 2013, 11:43 PM
Great optics on the Nikon scopes, can't go wrong. If you can't find a scope at a yard sale for $10 this weekend, go buy the Nikon Prostaff.

March 30, 2013, 08:17 AM
I've got 3 BSA .22 Sweet (2-7x32, 3-9x40, 6-18x44). All of them work great and all 3 combined was less than 200 on Natchezss.com

March 30, 2013, 10:06 AM
If your willing to go to $120 you can get the mueller APV. Fantastic scope!!

March 30, 2013, 09:01 PM
Can anyone suggest a specific scope that's around $100?

I have this one on my Remington 5 and it's darn good for the price.


I know it's listed as a shotgun scope. Works perfectly on a 22.

March 31, 2013, 04:09 AM
iron sights.

April 1, 2013, 09:27 PM
I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40mm scope on my Remington 597. It is clear, bright and I think it is perfect for my 22lr Remmy.

Well I bought this scope. It's pretty awesome! Thanks everyone!!!

April 10, 2013, 08:19 PM
I got a 4-16x40 center point one of my friends bought me from Walmart. I can shoot as close as I want to, or zoom it in at 400 yards (not like I could hit a thing, it is minute of aircraft carrier at that range) beautiful scope for paper punching, and the occasional prarie dog hunt, and at $60 or so pretty cheap too