View Full Version : Moving NFA firearms

January 2, 2001, 12:43 PM
Ok, I'm going to visit a friend in another state and would like to take two NFA firearms (well one is select fire and the other has a supressor). How do I legally transport everything? I know there's a 5320 form that I miss submit to the ATF. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Whenever I go to the ranges, I ALWAYS take a photo copy of my form 4 just as a precaution. Any thing else I should be aware of?


Eric Blair
January 2, 2001, 04:06 PM
You don't need a 5320.20 for the Can. (or for AOW's)

You fill out two copies of the 5320.20, including your registered info, the weapon type. Where you are going, including county.

Why you want to transport the firearms. A good answer: All lawful purposes.

How you're going to transport the firearms. Personal Baggage is a good answer, unless you are shipping them by common carrier.

Send in the forms, signed, and wait 3-6 weeks. You'll get them back approved, unless it would violate a law.

Then you can travel through ANY states, regardless of their NFA laws on your way to the approved state. Keep a copy of your form 4's and 5320.20 and you should be fine.

While you can travel through non NFA states, you can't stay or shoot your toys in those states, only the state on your 5320.20 form.

You can get a PDF copy of a 5320.20 from Danbrew's excellent site. http://www.titleii.com, http://www.titleii.com/forms.htm

If you have any ?'s, please let me know.