PDA

View Full Version : Headspace Problems?

pwrstrkd
May 31, 2012, 04:01 PM
Im sorry, I know I am asking a lot of questions. Rem 700 police, 338 Lapua. When I chamber a round i have to slide the bolt fast and then I am able to push the the bolt down. However if I chamber a round slowly and then atempt to close the bolt, it wont move and i have to push foward and down more forcefully to close the bolt. Does this make sense> Like the bolt wont close unless round is bolt is very firmly against round. I have not experienced this before. If I need to be more clear on what I am saying, please let me know. Thanks for the help.

jimbob86
May 31, 2012, 04:09 PM
OAL of your round?

Before and after chambering?

pwrstrkd
May 31, 2012, 04:15 PM
I havent actually shot it, just chambered some factory 250g hornady ammo to check functions

mehavey
May 31, 2012, 04:20 PM
With a "push feed" bolt face (as at right), you are forcing the extractor up and over the case rim juuuust as the bolt rotates closed.
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/files/2010/09/rsperfect_102605b.jpg

You will feel that resistance when chambering slowly.
(otherwise it sorta gets lost in a fast closure moment) ;)

Note that once the case chambers, however, you can partially withdraw it and then close the bolt gain without
that resistance since the extractor has already engaged itself.

hooligan1
May 31, 2012, 05:56 PM
Also try another brand of ammo. Have these rounds chambered and shot with no problems before now? It's probably not a "headspace" problem because that rifles not that old I assume.

mehavey
May 31, 2012, 06:02 PM
OP notes that he has not fired the rifle yet.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5100044&postcount=3

Again, unless I am mistaken, his Model 700 is push-feed w/ the extractor riding up/over the rim at the last second (hence resistance).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZZphk6JWfQ

pwrstrkd
May 31, 2012, 06:28 PM
ok thanks for the help. It only occurs when i push bolt real slow. No problems on quick chamberings. And when I remove bolt slowly after chambering about have way and rechamber it, there are no problems as well.

mehavey
May 31, 2012, 06:56 PM
Don'cha jus' love it when a plan works out? :D

iamdb
May 31, 2012, 11:37 PM
Mehavey, what is the middle bolt in your picture?

mehavey
June 1, 2012, 05:55 AM
The left is a standard Mauser/Springfield, the center is supposedly a new Ruger. When I compare it to my `73 vintage Rugger M77H, however, the ejector slot is replaced w/ the spring/button design.

Ruger has changed bolt faces several times in my experience, but my two later Ruger Africans (`81 and later) are in the shop so I can't make a look-at-it-in-hand comparison. (Personally, I'm into Controlled-Feed designs)

iamdb
June 1, 2012, 10:45 AM
That ruger bolt looks pretty rugged. I'm going keep an eye out for a .270 with that bolt face. Thanks for the info!

tobnpr
June 1, 2012, 03:53 PM
Go over to Snipershide and do a search.

I seem to remember reading quite a few threads on the sensitivity of some of the rifles chambered in .338 LM to a particular type of ammo/brass.