View Full Version : Any idea what I just "bought?"

May 15, 2012, 03:05 PM
I picked up a couple of sine bars in an e-bay auction with almost no activity. There were 5 pieces in the lot … 2 really nice sine bars that were definitely worth the 10 bucks I gave for the whole lot, 1 silly beat-up gage block that will end up being used as bar stock for something (unless it ends up being fully hard) and a pair of identical widgets that are a total mystery to me.


Does anyone recognize what they are from the attached photo? They are 4 inches long and 0.812”x 0.687” … the surfaces are finely ground and almost sharp on the long edges. There is also a through hole on one end (visible on the left, in the recessed area) and the only marking is the word CLAYTON ... also in a recessed area. These came covered in their original wax, so whatever they are, they are pristine.

Thanks in advance!


Don P
May 15, 2012, 03:49 PM
Widgets with groves in them in black:D

May 15, 2012, 03:59 PM
Well ... I have to admit that I was prepared for a little humor in response ... a person has to be able to take that which they dish out ;)


May 15, 2012, 04:23 PM
It looks suspiciously like a 6 cavity mould block (1/2), pre-machining. ;)

May 15, 2012, 04:47 PM
Sometimes we'd get certain dial gauges etc that came with blocks similar to that. It would be sort of a kit with the gauge, a multi-point arm, and the block with a through-hole for semi-permanent mounting. We used them when building hybrid mechanical systems

May 16, 2012, 07:51 AM
All I see is a "Vee" Block. What is the great mystery? A very common piece of equipment to hold round stock when machining.

May 16, 2012, 08:33 AM
V -block was my thought at first glance too … but the picture looks like the channels aren’t machined to hold a clamp and the cuts that would be "V" aren’t deep enough to hold much of anything. Important surfaces are the flats, imo :confused:
Dunno what they’re for … but with 2 in 11/16 x 13/16 x 4" … might be handy as super-duty parallel bars, especially in a 1" deep vise ,,, ?

Jim Watson
May 16, 2012, 08:40 AM
I think that is what they are, parallel bars to block smaller work up in a mill vise. Even if they were made for some other use, you can certainly USE them for that.

May 16, 2012, 09:19 AM
Yep, the recesses aren't deep enough (or finished enough) to use for anything remotely precise ...

I totally agree that they will be useful as parallels and they can be used in either orientation in that function. I just didn't want to look completely stupid for using some elegant tool as a parallel just because I didn't bother to ask what I had :p ... it would be like using a sine bar as a parallel!

Thanks all,


May 16, 2012, 09:38 AM
Picking up something for nothing off ebay, and using it how you feel like
doesn’t make you look stupid…

makes you look CHEAP ! :p:D

I can dig it .. ;)

May 16, 2012, 09:43 AM
Picking up something for nothing off ebay, and using it how you feel like
doesn’t make you look stupid…

makes you look CHEAP !

Well ... the fact of the matter is that I AM cheap, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it :D

May 16, 2012, 11:38 AM
How about stops to go in your bridgeport or other machine table. I think Bridgeport is 5/8 but I am pretty sure my TOS is 11/16.