View Full Version : duracoat

May 10, 2012, 11:49 PM
Do you need a gunsmithing license in Texas to apply duracoat to customer's guns?

Bill DeShivs
May 11, 2012, 12:52 AM
You need one anywhere in the US to paint guns, if you keep the receivers overnight or ship the guns interstate.

May 11, 2012, 09:35 AM
You need an FFL if you are in the business of firearms. Because you will be working on guns, you will need one.

May 11, 2012, 10:03 AM
That's kinda what i figured, but, thought i would verify before i started advertising it lol.

I don't have an FFL or gunsmithing license.

So, do i need BOTH in the case painting weapons? trying to decide given the two answers i got.

Bill DeShivs
May 11, 2012, 11:59 AM
A gunsmithing license is an FFL.
As long as you don't keep firearms frames overnight, you don't need an FFL.

May 11, 2012, 12:17 PM
cool thx..

So which FFL would i need to do that sort of thing? given how many times i can't get customers to pick up their motorcycles on time, i doubt seriously every customer will come on time, and i'm bound to have them staying with me over night. that and, sometimes, depending upon the level of customization, it could take several hours to do and several more to dry..

So would rather be safe than sorry for sure..

the whole FFL thing is a pain in the butt for me, i work out of my house, and, would need to do a lot of things before i could get a home based FFL.

i guess i'll wait until i get a shop. lol

May 11, 2012, 04:55 PM
A regular dealer license will cover general repairs and refinishing. The best thing would be to read up on the FFLs with ATF, since they are the ones who issue the license. Listen to what they have to say, since they are the ones that can put you in Fed prison.


May 12, 2012, 08:12 PM
"A gunsmithing license is an FFL.
As long as you don't keep firearms frames overnight, you don't need an FFL."
if you charge money for gunwork you must have a license.
A gunsmith who works on a gun and returns it the same day does not have to enter the gun in his/her bound book.


Bill DeShivs
May 13, 2012, 01:25 PM
Frames or receivers ARE the "firearm."
If you make custom grips, you are doing "gun work"-but it requires no FFL. If you paint/blue/plate/engrave pistol slides only-it requires no FFL.
So, I'm not wrong.