PDA

View Full Version : i feel ashamed :(

customaquatics
April 28, 2012, 03:53 PM
i have 8 total firearms so far an yet to have a .22 LR :( what model do you guys think i should get?

JWT
April 28, 2012, 03:59 PM
Handgun or rifle?

WWWJD
April 28, 2012, 04:00 PM
The new Ruger 10/22 take down... cause I want one.

customaquatics
i would rather have a rifle, an i don't care bout bolt action or semi.

sigcurious
I'd vote for either a cz 455 or 452 of some sort. They just look sooooo nice. OTOH, if you wanted a semi, I don't think you could go wrong with a 10/22.

customaquatics
April 28, 2012, 04:02 PM
i was wanting accuracy out of the box not something i have to spend $$ on to get accuracy.

customaquatics
April 28, 2012, 04:03 PM
ya the CZ's i have been lookin at them.

Deja vu
April 28, 2012, 04:10 PM
It is un-American to not own a 10/22 :D

justin10mm
April 28, 2012, 04:19 PM
If you want accuracy then you want a Marlin 795.

BigMikey76
April 28, 2012, 04:33 PM
Way better price than a 10/22, and accuracy to spare. I am not saying the 10/22 is not accurate, just that the 795 is, so please, 10/22 fans, don't get all worked up ;)

customaquatics
April 28, 2012, 04:46 PM
ya i have had other people say the Marlin is out-of-the-box more accurate then the Ruger. what if i compared the Marlin to the Savage?

Microgunner
April 28, 2012, 04:46 PM
I have owned literally hundreds of rimfire firearms and my favorite .22lr rifle so far is my Anschutz 1710D HB.

For pure plinking fun none has matched my CMMG Sierra .22lr upper mounted on my S&W M&P-15T.

HDTVSELLER
April 28, 2012, 07:06 PM
the savage is great depending on model if you go cheap you get cheap like the 150 walamart special.. but i say marlin model 60 or ruger 10 22 i have 2 of both and would say its hard to deside out of box witch is better. Now a ruger has more fixer up parts to modify it as time goes on but neither need it out of box i think.

mitchntx
April 28, 2012, 07:11 PM
For sheer plinking fun, an M&P 15-22 will be hard to beat.

I have 10K rounds through mine and it is just as much fun today as it was a year ago.

It'll eat anything and rarely has an issue.

Hawg
April 28, 2012, 07:13 PM
Best bang for the buck is a Marlin model 60.

geetarman
April 28, 2012, 07:24 PM
Marlin 39a.

There have been some issues with newer ones. At least that is what I read.

I have one that is about 8 years old. Shoots fine. Had a trigger job done on it and put a K6 Weaver on it. I should have put a K4 but couldn't find an old steel tube scope.

It reminds me of a much younger time when I had endless energy and clear vision...

Geetarman:D

SamNavy
April 28, 2012, 07:50 PM
The most asked firearm question of all time...
What .22lr do I buy?

And the answer is almost always "you cannot go wrong with a Ruger 10/22."

The Ruger is rugged'ish, cheap'ish, accurate'ish, stylish'ish, enjoys a huge aftermarket support, can be made fully automatic, blah blah... basically an incredible all-around gun. You cannot go wrong, and DejaVu is right... it's un-American not to own one.

It's closest competitor is the Marlin model 60 (tube-feed) or 795(magazine-feed), which will do everything just as well, but without near the aftermarket support, and are also much cheaper.

But for those 2 guns, you have to be sure you want a semi-automatic. If it's a bolt-action you want, the best bang-for-your-buck is almost certainly the Savage MKII, with many models well under $200. It comes in many different flavors and is very affordable. The MKII-FV is a real looker. Throw any $50 scope on it and shoot quarter-sized groups at 100yds.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/975/products_id/24563

The step up from the Savage is the CZ 452/455, but you're gonna be around $400 for one.

Of course you can get a .22lr that looks like an AR/MP5/AK or just about any other type of full-sized assault rifle or sub-gun... but those always seemed to me as the cheapest way to just make noise. I have a buddy who loves his M&P .22, but I don't see the appeal.

I use my Savage MKII FV-SR as a teaching gun and to practice my trigger control and breathing. It's zero'd at 100yds and I rarely shoot it past 150 with some holdover depending on wind. It'll get a suppressor someday, which will give me an excuse to buy a Ruger MKIII... which is also a benchmark weapon.

If I was in the market for a semi-auto, I'd be looking hard for a used Ruger 10/22... you just can't go wrong.

Hawg
April 28, 2012, 08:21 PM
The Ruger is rugged'ish, cheap'ish, accurate'ish, stylish'ish, enjoys a huge aftermarket support, can be made fully automatic, blah blah... basically an incredible all-around gun. You cannot go wrong, and DejaVu is right... it's un-American not to own one.

It's closest competitor is the Marlin model 60 (tube-feed) or 795(magazine-feed), which will do everything just as well, but without near the aftermarket support, and are also much cheaper.

A 10/22 out of the box is not as accurate as a Marlin Model 60. There may be exceptions but not for the most part.

johnwilliamson062
April 28, 2012, 09:32 PM
My 22lr Thoughts:

My Marlin 891TS is my favorite rifle in general. I have a williams rear sight on it and would not like it with the stock rear sight though. I think it was $180 for the rifle and $50 for the sight.

10/22. I have an international ?mannlicher?. It looks great it shoots well enough. I have butler creek folding stock and a heavy target barrel for it if I want different configurations. Switching it is quite easy, but in the long term I will be buying another receiver. I may very well try to trade one for the take down model which I also think is a great gun. I saw one at my local gun shop last week and the take down mechanism is really slick and simple. Not sure about the accuracy though. Seems there would be some inherent problems. Also no third party support yet as standard stocks obviously do not work.

I like the idea of the buckmark carbine b/c you can get a buckmark pistol and they both have mostly interchangeable parts.

The 22lr pump rifles seem to have some problems. At some point I will get a levergun, although i don't yet know what or when.

dvdcrr
April 28, 2012, 11:08 PM
Winchester Model 63

jef2015
April 28, 2012, 11:58 PM
I will suggest checking out the CZ's before making a decision.

WV_gunner
April 29, 2012, 12:10 AM
Either a New England single shot or go to Wal mart and pick one out. A Mossburg is $107 I believe. If I was buying a new one, a Savage bolt action would be it. But I have a used 597 and it's ok. But it does have it's quirks and its the worst gun I own. Still alot of fun.

UnbearablePanda
April 29, 2012, 12:14 AM
Volquaster! only 3-7k :D!!!!!!

trg42wraglefragle
April 29, 2012, 02:34 AM
CZ or Remington 597.
IMHO the Rem is a nicer gun than the Ruger, just make sure you get the Volquartsen extractor, is a must have for the Remmy.

Mosinka
April 29, 2012, 02:45 AM
One word: Ruger.

If you want a pistol, the new Ruger SR22.

If you want a revolver, the Ruger Single-Six convertible.

If you want a rifle, the new Ruger 10/22 TD (takedown).

One other option IF you want a pistol: Sig Sauer Mosquito.

customaquatics
April 29, 2012, 02:32 PM
no sig misquito's have to many sent back. but ya i have been checkin out the Savage bolt actions an the CZ's. i just can't descide on what one.

surveyor
April 29, 2012, 03:05 PM
consider a romanian trainer as well

i haven't shot cz or savage in rimfire,
but have shot a savage F/TR and 10 FP
as well as a CZ 527 varmint in centerfire
and was inpressed.

so i would look at CZ and savage as well

edited after bamarangers post..
the missus really likes her ruger stainless/brown laminate 77/22 in 22 mag..its a keeper.. :) its worthy of better glass than the 3x9 thats on it now..

customaquatics
April 29, 2012, 03:18 PM
all together i spent about $550 on the Savage an prolly going to be spending around that on the .22 too. the savage has the 93RGLV which was $292 then the Leupold STD mounts that was $50 an the Weaver 44/40 that set me back $150 an the Harris bi-pod which was $50 so im thinking bout that or a lil more for the .22

bamaranger
April 29, 2012, 06:01 PM
You need a .22, for certain. Anybody that does not own or shoot .22 much is suspect in my book. They must not be shooting too much, or have way more cash than I do.

I'll suggest two Rugers. The 10-22 is a fine GP .22 and the sky is the limit with customizing if you like that sort of thing. I'd shop for an older used one in good shape and avoid the current plastic lawyer trigger if I could.

The other, and a step up in price, and way up in quality, is the 77/22. It is an adult .22, handles more like a centerfire, and will give pride in ownership.

johnwilliamson062
April 30, 2012, 07:30 AM
You can buy 10/22 compatible receivers and build from the ground up if you want. Might have some possible builds there for $500 or close to it.

chadio
April 30, 2012, 08:24 AM
It reminds me of a much younger time when I had endless energy and clear vision...

Geetarman

:D:D Right there with ya, G !! :D:D

Seriously, get a Ruger 10/22 rifle and a Browning Buckmark pistol and don't look back.

Scout
April 30, 2012, 09:03 AM
The Savage Mark II cheapy from Walmart works great for me.

Salmoneye
April 30, 2012, 11:28 AM
Winchester 1906 S/L/LR

aarondhgraham
April 30, 2012, 11:45 AM
i was wanting accuracy out of the box not something i have to spend $$ on to get accuracy.

There is one standout in this line,,,
CZ rifles are awesome right out of the box.

I recently plunked down the cash for a new CZ 452 Special Military Trainer (http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-special-military-training-rifle/).

I could not be happier than I am now,,,
This is the rifle I should have purchased first.

In fact I'm peddling all of my other .22 rifles,,,
Except for one Mossberg 702 Plinkster for friends to shoot.

Aarond

woodrow019
April 30, 2012, 12:36 PM
Ruger 10/22 because I have one and can't go wrong with it. Also there are so many upgrades out there like johnwilliamson062 said to make it an incredibly accurate gun, barrels, trigger assemblies etc. to make it basically a custom gun.

GunXpatriot
April 30, 2012, 01:26 PM
Agree with Justin10mm. For the price and overall package, the marlin 795 is matched by none. For the every-man, the Ruger 10/22 is the way to go, but out of the box it's a little less accurate, as the 795 has Marlin's "Micro Groove Rifling". Another advantage of the 10/22 is that customization is endless. You can make it look like anything you want! If you're going to buy a gun and leave it standard, go with the 795.

For me, I bought the 795 because I was low on cash and didn't think I'd want to customize my gun. I guess I was wrong. I'm kinda dissapointed and I'll have to pick up a 10/22 when I get around to it. So like I said, think it out really well before you have to buy both and waste money.

If you want to go down the bolt-action path, which I absolutely love! You'll probably want to go with a Marlin XT-22 or a Savage Mark II. There are others, but these are the best you can get for low-cost ($200-$300 standard). If you'd like to go higher end, I suggest a CZ 452 or the new CZ 453. They're some of the best you can get for their price and they do deliver, I've shot them before.

Something to note is, if you are a good shot, it won't matter. You won't need to spend more money on a CZ, no matter what people say. If this is the case with you, go with the Marlin XT-22. It's basically just as good as the savage and can compete with both the Savage and CZ on both accuracy and looks (to me at least).

As for pistols, there are a number of ways to go (as others said above). You could go cheapy with a Heritage Rough Rider. It's cheap, but it works. Also, look up Legacy Sports International and on their site, go to the Puma tab and click M-1872 .22 Revolver. I heard they're better than the Rough Rider, but I can't be sure. Of course there's always the Ruger line, which I hear nothing but good about. You could go for the Walther P22, but from what I've seen, it's not the most reliable of the bunch. It is small and recoils, so who knows, it may be good practice?

The problem is, there's just so many products to chose from... It's kinda depressing :'(

Anyway, I hope this helped you save some $, as well as give you an idea of some of the options available. Good luck! :D

customaquatics
April 30, 2012, 01:27 PM
if i did the ruger route it would be the heavy free-floating barrel in a upgraded walnut stock. i love that classic wood look.

HKFan9
April 30, 2012, 01:34 PM
CZ hands down. My 10/22 doesn't deserve to be in the same safe as my CZ 452 Full Stock.

MikeGunz
April 30, 2012, 01:55 PM
Out of all my guns I have the most fun shooting my 10/22 with a bushnell trs-25 site and 25 rd mags.. Damn good time :D

customaquatics
April 30, 2012, 01:56 PM
has anyone ever had or played with that CZ USA 455? i do like the classic look of that one. it will be the .22 LR version as a already have a badass Savage setup in .17 HMR.

Joe_Pike
April 30, 2012, 06:58 PM
I had never purchased a .22lr long gun before, either. Until Friday. Then I happened to be in a shop I don't go into that often and spotted a used unfired CZ 452 LUX for $275. I jumped on it like a duck on a June bug. I've been wanting one for a long time and hadn't realized they had discontinued them. Can't wait to shoot it.

Te Anau
April 30, 2012, 08:40 PM
One word.......Savage!

WV_gunner
April 30, 2012, 10:46 PM
I dont understand the need for an expensive .22 gun. The whole point, to me, to owning a .22 is for cheap shooting. So, who spend a few hundred, or more even, for something that is supposed to be cheap. I got mine because my dad had gotten a H&R .32 and traded it for a 597 and an RG in .22 LR. Well, after awhile he just decided to give them to me because he had a hard time selling it. Well, the 597's aftermarket 25 round mag was garbage and the gun just needed cleaned. The RG needs refinished badly and just needed cleaned. I Remington has a cheap red dot, which is kind of neat, but I wouldn't of bought it myself. Both guns, used value combined might be $150 tops. Good, cheap, fun. Bot guns have probably had 150 rounds through each since I got them and no major problems. So my advice, don't be afraid to get a cheaper gun.

woodrow019
May 1, 2012, 03:28 AM
WV_gunner I agree with you fully its just nice to know that with the 10/22 if a person later down the line wanted to upgrade they could easily do because of the endless array of parts available. "Do what makes you happy."

customaquatics
May 1, 2012, 09:48 AM
an a CZ would make me happy :)

johnbt
May 1, 2012, 02:24 PM
I have a CZ 452 American .22 WMR. Got it used for $285. :)

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=433636&size=1

I have a Marlin Mountie, too.
And a Finnfire Hunter.
And a Rem 541-S.
And a Cooper Custom Classic.

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=433221

I don't believe .22 rimfires need to be inexpensive. Most people trying to save money on ammo shoot them a lot more often than their centerfire rifles.

John

HKFan9
May 1, 2012, 06:33 PM
Different guns for different reasons.

I do have a 10/22.... got it for free from a Ruger Promo. Actually I have 2. It is my loaner gun, plinker, ect.

I have high end .22's like CZ's for hunting/ small bore silhouette competition.

I have a Walther/Umarex H&K MP5-22 because my and a few friends hold ".22 Tactical competitions between ourselves. Generally to practice for 3 gun matches and the like. Keeps you moving, keeps you thinking.

I say if it is going to be your first .22 rifle, to buy quality... get a gun with a good barrel, and good sights, and good trigger, and hone your shooting skills.

Problem with too many shooters these days is they only shop by price point, often with the word cheap or cheapest involved. I'm only 25 and I still appreciate quality over quantity.

Joe_Pike
May 1, 2012, 06:44 PM
Dang John, that sure is some purdy wood on that CZ of yours.

Dragline45
May 1, 2012, 07:04 PM
MosinkaOne word: Ruger.

If you want a pistol, the new Ruger SR22.

If you want a revolver, the Ruger Single-Six convertible.

If you want a rifle, the new Ruger 10/22 TD (takedown).

Now I agree if with one thing you said and that is Ruger.

If you want a pistol the Ruger MKIII or 22/45 will outshoot the SR22 all day and for years to come. I can hit my 5" steel plate at 50 yards all day long with my 22/45

If you want a revolver I would go with the double action Ruger SP101 in .22lr vs the single six. I go through .22's like nothing, a single six is just too slow to load and empty shells.

If you want a rifle, I recommend the non take down model of the 10/22 unless you plan on actually sticking it in a pack. I got my all weather 10/22 which is a stainless barrel and synthetic stock for only $230, and with all the aftermarket accessories and the option of 25rd mags I would see no other choice.

OcSpeed
May 1, 2012, 07:17 PM
While the 10-22 is iconic and the marlin is pretty accurate let me direct your attention to the Remington Speedmaster, super accurate, hold I think 15 rounds and is semi-auto.

The only issue I've ran into is that it greatly favors Remington ammo.

m&p45acp10+1
May 1, 2012, 07:26 PM
I am a 10/22 fan. I have been shooting the crap out of the same box stock stainless Ruger 10/22 for 30 years. I have put literaly more than 10K bricks of 22 lr. out of it in those years. Not one part has failed. It still shoots as accurate today as it did when I was 5.

If I were getting a bolt action I would go with the CZ I have the 527 American in .221 Rem Fireball It is a pleasure, and a joy to shoot, and tack driver would be an gross understatement.