PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another X vs Y question

mukibetser
March 19, 2012, 10:58 AM
My next gun will be either a Gen 4 Glock 23 or a Walther PPQ. I've read a bunch on both.
Glock Pros: cheaper mags, widely available accessories, can convert the .40 to 9mm with a new barrel and G19 mags, proven reliability (subject to getting updated G4 recoil spring); Cons: mushy trigger, less than stellar ergos even with new backstraps

Walther Pros: fanstastic trigger, great ergonimics; Cons: New gun, not proven; won't be able to convert .40 to 9mm as far as I know, expensive mags.

Does anyone have experience handling and shooting both? Just how much better is the Walther trigger? Thanks.

loose_holster_dan
March 19, 2012, 11:05 AM
the walther trigger is much smoother and a far shorter reset. the ergos alone are worth it in my opinion.

changing caliber on guns usually doesn't end up being much cheaper than buying two guns.

Fishbed77
March 19, 2012, 11:41 AM
Cons: New gun, not proven

The Walther PPQ is NOT a new gun. It has been on sale in Europe for years as the P99Q or P99 RAD.

The PPQ itself is nothing more than a P99 with a new trigger group and mildly revised aesthetics. The P99 has been around for 15 years, and is one of the most proven and reliable polymer handguns on the market.

mukibetser
March 19, 2012, 12:10 PM
Fishbed -- thanks for that clarification. I had forgotten that. Scale is tipping towards the Walther.

TunnelRat
March 19, 2012, 12:30 PM
Check out this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481781

Auto426
March 19, 2012, 01:51 PM
Best thing to do is go to a gunshop that has both in stock and get your hands on them. You can stare at pictures on the internet all day long, but that doesn't tell you much about how they feel in hand, how they point for you, and how comfortable and accessible the controls are.

bitttorrrent
March 19, 2012, 02:36 PM
Have G20 and 21 and shot 17. I like Glocks but the ergos have never made me a perfect shot with them.

I have not shot the ppq yet, but handled and dry fired in store and i was very impressed. Should have bought, but just bought a pt-99 and had a Caracal F on order so did not. (Caracal is awesome by the way).

I would lean to the Walther.