PDA

View Full Version : Glock 20 FTF issues

irish52084
March 17, 2012, 06:03 PM
I've got a problem that just started with a glock 20. It was having a lot of ftf and several stovepipes for it's new owner. I just sold it to this guy, he's an experienced shooter and know his glocks well. I feel like a douche because I didn't have any issues and now he is. Don't want him to think I'm trying to scam him.

I noticed that the guide rod seems to slip off it's perch when the slide is retracted and makes takedown a bit more difficult. Could this be the source of my issues? I tend to think not.

I've done a little searching and it seems that the slide stop spring can be an issue if it's replace incorrectly and that the mag release can have ill effects if it's worn. does anyone have osme more insight on this?

Previous to this I've had no problems with it. This gun only has about 300 rounds through it, so it shouldn't be wearing anything out yet.

Gen3Glock22
March 17, 2012, 08:18 PM
I've sand bagged the Glock forums and there have been problems in the gen 4 RSA. My best advice is call Glock with the serial number they were offering a replacement RSA, return spring assembly.

K1500
March 17, 2012, 08:59 PM
There is no gen 4 G20, so there is no rsa recall. It sounds to me like classic limp-wristing or perhaps really weak ammo. What ammo is he shooting? The rsa SHOULD slip off the first notch/assembly perch when the gun is assembled.

Mrgunsngear
March 17, 2012, 09:01 PM
There are huge deviations in 10mm ammo out there. If he is an experienced shooter and isn't limpwristing, I'd start with the ammo he's using. Some 10mm ammo is less powerful than some 40S&W while other loads are right up there with 357 magnum...

irish52084
March 18, 2012, 12:09 AM
The ammo in question is double tap 135gr nosler and 165gr golden saber. The guy is an experienced shooter and told me he sold a 29 a few years ago. He shoots a 17L in local competitions as well, so I find it hard to believe he's limp-wristing enough to get consistent FTF.

bamaranger
March 18, 2012, 12:40 AM
I'd suspect ammo first and foremost. What was working for you? Shoot some more of it, will it run?

voyager4520
March 18, 2012, 10:56 AM
Guide rod slipping out of the notch slightly is normal as others have said. If it has an aftermarket guide rod and spring in it, replace them with a factory assembly, if you're using an aftermarket spring that's too heavy it may cause problems, especially considering that most factory 10mm loads are close to .40SW velocities.

Failures to feed and failures to eject suggests a problem with the extractor, it may have gunk built up around it. It's possible for Glock's newest extractors to be out-of-spec from the factory but you said you had no problems with it.

It shouldn't be happening with 165gr Gold Sabers, that's for sure.

dsb1829
March 19, 2012, 04:24 PM
My 20 will have feeding issues with light loads and with fast powders. DT seems to like to use faster powders. I would try some different ammo or if he is set on that stuff, then he should try a different recoil spring (order up a few lower power springs to try).

federali
March 19, 2012, 05:43 PM
I'm assuming you're referring to a failure to feed rather than a failure to fire. Try different magazines, use factory ammo only and polish the feed ramp. The stovepipes do sound like underpowered ammo and incomplete slide travel.

I've mentioned it many times in various threads but my new G19 ( in 1995) suffered failures to feed. A home-made steel spring guide solved the problem and it's been working fine ever since.