PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Kimber Ultra Carry II

Sobski
March 16, 2012, 12:20 PM
Good day everyone. I'm a little bit nervous about my first thread here on TFL after reading the recent announcement but I'll give it a go anyway:

I'm fairly new to handguns/firearms but have found that I really like 1911s. I was hoping to get some opinions on what would be a reasonable price for a lightly used Kimber Ultra Carry II chambered in 9mm. I know the seller so I am comfortable with the fact that it is used but I am not sure at all how much handguns depreciate in value if you will.

Any thoughts on a reasonable price or about other options would be appreciated.

BDM 9MM
March 16, 2012, 02:41 PM
Hi - I own a Kimber Ultra Carry II, 9MM and it has been a fine pistol so far. Mine is SS and I purchased new for $925.00. I have seen used ones (Used +- 500 rds) selling for around $800.00 in my area. I have about 2,000 rounds downrange so far with no problems. It is a fine pistol and I like everything about it - except for the goofy paper clip takedown procedure. Good luck, Dan

3kgt2nv
March 16, 2012, 02:42 PM
for the price of a kimber i would get a springfield. with kimber your buying the name and a history of feeding / extracting issues.

KC Rob
March 16, 2012, 05:15 PM
I don't own an Ultra Carry but I do own two Kimber Pro Carry's and neither has the aforementioned "history of feeding / extracting issues". I do think that the smaller 3" 1911's can be finicky, in fact the only 1911 I own that has ever given me any extraction problems is a Springfield Micro Compact.

djcantr
March 16, 2012, 05:29 PM
I have an Ultra Carry II. I've had issues with it. It's currently with Kimber right now and they're replacing the frame as it cracked after owning it for three months. If I could go back in time I would have selected another pistol in place of the Ultra Carry II.

Friar Whently
March 16, 2012, 07:34 PM
If you're looking for a small 9mm 1911, there's also the Colt Defender. 3" barrel 1911, slightly less expensive than the Kimber, and (if the internet is to be believed) is made by a company with a better reliability record.

Then again, you'd probably get the used Kimber for less than any new Colt.

orionengnr
March 16, 2012, 07:52 PM
I have had one Colt Defender, two Springfield EMPs and four Kimber Ultras (two stainless Ultra Carry IIs, one Ultra CDP and one Ultra CDPII--this one is actually the wife's) as well as a number of other 1911s.

The ones that worked for me were the Kimbers--that's why I keep buying them. In addition to the four Ultras, I have also owed two in the 4" size and two in the 5" size. I have not experienced the "history of feeding / extracting issues". :rolleyes: I carry one every day.

Edited to add: None of my Kimbers were 9mm, so I cannot speak with authority there. Both my EMPs were 9mm and...well, the less said, the better.

Carry_24/7
March 17, 2012, 04:10 AM
My Kimber is also without the history of feeding/extraction issues...... So are those belonging to several close friends, and everyone I know that shoots one at the shooting club I frequent.....Gateway Rifle and Pistol Club.

virg
March 17, 2012, 07:17 AM
I have a Kimber Ultra Carry 2 and have put approx 500 rds through it since I purchased it. So far it has worked 100% perfectly.

Stealth01
March 17, 2012, 09:21 AM
Well I currently have two Kimbers, aSuper Carry Pro and a Raptor Ultra Carry II. The SCP is finicky about its ammunition while the Ultra Carry has been flawless thus far!! And accurate... that's a 10 shot group!

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m512/kengallagher/804cbc53.jpg

Probably should have mentioned, I only use Wilson Combat magazines!

Grant D
March 17, 2012, 09:42 AM
The Kimber ultra carry II in 9MM sells for $848.00 new, at my local gun store in College Station Texas.

bikerbill
March 17, 2012, 09:39 PM
Paid under $700 NIB at a gun show almost three years ago for my all-black UCII ... it has been perfect since the first shot, extremely accurate, has never failed in any way ... I put a pair of sand VZ grips on it, they look fantastic and provide incredible grip ... It's in my carry rotation, usually in the winter when I can wear a cover garment ... excellent choice, nothing like a 1911 for carry ...

jrc50
March 18, 2012, 06:43 PM
I have a Kimber Crimson Pro Carry and have had no issues, got it slightly discounted locally at $1025 and so far like it a lot!

dancarpenter95
March 18, 2012, 07:57 PM
I have a Kimber Ultra Raptor II 3". It has never had a single issue since I bought it. Love the way it shoots and watching the flames come out the barrel. The snap with the 3" barrel is awesome.

1911s
March 18, 2012, 09:05 PM
I have a Crimson Ultra Carry 2 about 1500 rounds through it. I want another one but do not need it. My favorite pistol.

Shadi Khalil
March 18, 2012, 09:15 PM
My Kimber Ultra II was a nightmare. It had all kinds of issues and made a few trips back to Kimber. I ended up selling it at a loss but really didn't have much of a choice. I will say, if it had worked well, even with just hard ball, I'd be carrying it today. It looked and felt great and when it did work it was accurate. Since you know the seller, ask if you can run a few mags of mixed ammo through it first. If the gun has any problems they should present themselves. Good luck.

baddarryl
March 18, 2012, 09:38 PM
I rented a brand new, yes new, UC .45 that wouldn't run. No thanks.

CDW4ME
March 18, 2012, 09:49 PM
I had two Kimber Ultra Carry II pistols.
Neither worked with the factory supplied magazine.
The barrel that looked like stainless was really "in the white" bare metal.
500 round break-in per owners manual.

I now have a Springfield EMP 40 and love it; it's been reliable from round one.
I shot 50 round each of four different hollow points without a problem.
Now it has fired 270 rounds and has been trouble free.

Eagle Keeper
March 19, 2012, 07:17 AM
Couldn't spring the $$ for one, new or used, so I setteled for a Colt Defender, used with a few cosmetic blemishes, (.230 RN.hardball no problem, JHP's, now thats trial and error adventure,no like Win.PDX, hand up/ won't feed, they'll work in my Colt DA New Service with half moon clips, Hornady Critical Defence in .45acp in 185gr. box stated 900fps. chrono it at 15-20 feet, 904fps out of the Colt) feeds every time, the Springfield EMP Mirco was up there $$ too and none were available at the time, so I setteled for the Colt and I happy,it works, carry it daily, wonce or twice a month I'll test her out, not one problem, rotate mags and rounds minamunly the 1st. of each month, this is working for me. A friend has a Kimber w/Lazer, I'am going to put him to the test against my stock sight. Enjoy it, and keep'em clean, and light lube, right ammo, and be safe...><>...EK-OUT..!..:)

jmvdigital
March 19, 2012, 03:56 PM
I purchased a new Ultra II about 2 years ago. Beautiful gun. Unfortunately, I had so many failures (mostly feeding and extraction) upfront, that my LGS took it back. It was thoroughly cleaned and I wasn't limp-wristing, tried with multiple ammo types and other shooters. Not sure what the deal was, but I wasn't in the mood to play detective on a new $1200 gun.