PDA

View Full Version : S&W or Ruger or Sig 1911

Icebergb
March 10, 2012, 09:50 PM
Hello guys need imput about which one you would have or have and why you have or like it. I am really leaning towards getting the s&w 1911 e series bobtail. But something about the ruger just keeps calling me back. And lastestly the sig is starting to grow on me. Guys and gals give me your imput please

Technosavant
March 10, 2012, 09:53 PM
The Ruger is reputed to be a good gun for the money, but they're hard to find. I do own a S&W and a Sig 1911; they're both good guns, but between them, I think you get more for your money with Sig. Sig also makes a few bobtail models, but I will say holsters are harder to find for them due to the slide profile (I just got a Kelley Gun Leather one in the mail today for my Ultra... sure seems to be a wonderful little piece of leather, but will be a few days until I can start carrying it).

If you plan to carry it, I'd lean between the S&W and the Sig, and between them, both are good guns but I'd be more likely to recommend the Sig.

blackamos
March 10, 2012, 09:57 PM
Not a fan of the external extractor so the Ruger would be my choice. Not that they don't work fine, I just don't see the need to have one.

pdogkilr
March 10, 2012, 10:15 PM
Okay Guys - I embrace diversity !!

In the 1911 arena I have two Colt's - one Para P14-45 - one Sig 1911 - and one Ed Brown.

Having said that, I am on the waiting list at GT Distributors for a Ruger SR1911, and I have already put a deposit down with CJ at 1911 Heaven for a Les Baer Commanche Monolith in bead-blasted hard chrome.

I want one of everything !!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, I think I will retire before I can get more than the next two that are on order.

Do I have a favorite ? Hell no. I love them all.

The Ed Brown is the "prettiest" but that sucker will shoot !! The Sig just "feels" right every time I pick it up. The Colt's - well ----- they are Colt's !

The Para P14-45 - Zombies beware !

Sorry for the rant. I just love 1911 style pistols. I am not a bigot when it comes to "differences". Single stack - double stack - internal or external extractor - sorry, not a "purist".

1911 Pistols are like women - so many options - so little time.

Back to the top of this response - I REALLY wish I could have one of every 1911 made - at least one example of every vendor.

Buy the Smith - you will love it.

Buy the Ruger - you will love it. (Hard to find better price / performance though).

Sorry - I know that was not a lot of help. Should stay off the internet when I am having Bailey's.

Ichiban
March 11, 2012, 08:30 AM
It depends. You didn't say what you are going to use this gun for. If it is CCW then the S&W hands down for it's size & the bobtail. The range is a different story - I'd probably go with the Sig. If money is the deciding factor, the Ruger is a darned good gun for less money.

sir_n0thing
March 11, 2012, 11:44 AM
I want a Ruger SR1911.... really bad. :) 100% made in the USA. Not a negative review to be found (that I've seen anyway). And it's a good looking gun to boot.
The Sig would be my second choice.

Icebergb
March 11, 2012, 03:35 PM
Yes I do plan to carry it and just have an over all weapon that can do it all. So I do believe the smith is the best option less im over looking one of the sig models. But I am leaning towards the smith but they are hard to find aswell

Kreyzhorse
March 11, 2012, 06:14 PM
You really cany go wrong with any of those three. With that said, I'd roll with the Smith out of those three.

The Ruger is a strong second if you can find one.

geetarman
March 11, 2012, 08:27 PM
What a dilemma...

I have all three and bought the Sig Tacpac first. I was looking for a 1911 and I wanted a steel frame. I bought mine in January and it runs great. I have not had a single issue with it.

I went over to the LGS and was talking about my experience with the gun and I spied a 1911E on the bottom shelf. The fishscales caught my eye first. Much harder to rack than the Sig but seems well put together. Had some issues with the recoil spring instructions upon reassembly and the failed to run worth a crap. Called Smith and Wesson and they told me the manual is wrong about which end goes toward the end of the guide rod. The barrel link pin was not properly staked and they wanted the gun back. I took the gun to the onsite gunsmith and he staked the pin. The gun has run fine since with no issues.

Trigger is very good but not as good as the Sig. It has not been shot as much either.

As I was looking over these guns at the house, I got a call from the LGS that a SR1911 had been delivered and the ones ahead of me on the list either did not have the money or they could not be reached. What a problem to have...right? I did the only proper thing and bought that gun also.

The Ruger did not do well at the range the first three times out. Lots of stovepipes and I was ready to send the gun back. I asked the range gunsmith about it when I took the 1911E in for the barrel link stake and the smith said the most likely problem was improper extractor tension.

He re-tensioned the extractor and that gun is also trouble free.

Build wise, the Sig and the Smith are VERY close. Trigger on the Sig is better than the Smith and the Ruger is about the same as the Smith.

Finish is great on the Smith and the Nitron on the Sig is good and I am sure some imperfections are hidden.

The Ruger is ok as far as build. You can see the difference between a cast and forged frame pretty easily. The feel is different between the Ruger and the other two.

You don't spend as much for the Ruger as the others either.

As for my favorite...probably a tossup between the Sig and the Smith.

A friend of mine who REALLY likes 1911s prefers the Ruger followed by the Sig and Smith.

My friend really wants to buy the Ruger but I learned a long time ago that to sell a gun is pretty much a bad thing.

There is no question they all run fine now, but the only one that has never had a problem is the Sig. That is one fine gun. I like Sig anyway and can see myself getting another.

I am probably going to get a Dan Wesson Valor next. I was able to snag a Dan Wesson PM9 two weeks ago and so far have had no issues at all and the gun is best build quality I have ever handled. If you ever get a chance to shoot one, you should give it a whirl. You will be impressed.

Geetarman:D

PITT5150
March 11, 2012, 08:47 PM
S&W 1911 SC E series would be my first pick for carry. The Sig 1911 would be my pick for range and HD. I've owned a Ruger SR1911. Its nice for the price but I'm not too keen on Stainless Steel finishes on semi autos. I sold it and bought a Sig 1911 TacOps because I wanted a SA 45 with a rail for a house gun.

The Sig 1911's are a great value. The squared off slide profile really appeals to me as well. Holster selection is a mute point because most Kydex holster manufacturers carry them.

Mrgunsngear
March 11, 2012, 09:00 PM
I own an e-series and owned a SR1911. I've shot a ton of Sigs but my buddy has two and I shoot them a good bit.

In order of reliability (#1 for defensive handgun for me)

E-series (1 failure through thousands of rounds, but it was on the first mag)
SR (2 failures in about 500 rounds)
SIG--On one, no failures---great gun. The other, at least 1 failure every mag.

I realize that's just one aspect, but it's an important one. So, for me---E Series
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG0721.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/mail-1-4.jpg