PDA

View Full Version : Recoil Spring for a Kimber 1911

NUPE
March 10, 2012, 05:01 PM
I recently had some issues with failure to feed in my Kimber 1911 and after replacing my magazine with a Wilson Combat magazine the problem still exist. One of the workers at the gun store suggested I replace the recoil spring since the gun is at least 12 years old. I never had any problems with the gun whatsoever until this year. Probably 18 out of 50 rounds had issues with feeding and that included using different magazines too. Any suggestions on a brand or type of recoil spring I should get would be appreciated. Or if you think it could be something else let me know.

9x19
March 10, 2012, 05:17 PM
Wolff Gun Springs are some of the best.

You didn't mention caliber or size (Custom, Pro, Ultra) and those can have an affect on spring weight.

It its a Custom in .45, a 16.5 lb recoil spring should be fine for most loads... if you feed it a steady diet of +P, you might consider an 18 lb spring.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/KIMBER/Custom,%20Gold%20Match,%20%26%20Hi-Cap%20Polymer/cID1/mID32/dID412

g.willikers
March 10, 2012, 05:39 PM
What kind of FTF are you having?
Is the ammo something you've used successfully before?
With a good description, someone around here might have a solution.
Changing the recoil spring is inexpensive and easy to do, so it's worth a try.
But, don't be disappointed if it's something else.

drail
March 10, 2012, 07:24 PM
I don't know how much you shoot in a year but if your gun is 12 years old you should replace ALL of the springs. If your magazines are more than 3 or 4 years old you should replace the springs in them too.