View Full Version : Where do these parts go.

February 16, 2012, 10:36 PM
I know my Lyman GPR is missing the ram rod spring screw, and the ram rod clip spring.. But this may sound stupid but where in the world do they go, I just had the GPR apart for cleaning but I don't even see an empty threaded hole for the screw. And from this
I can't tell how it goes together. My ram rod just falls right out when the rifle is tilted down. Can someone post a pic of how this goes together.

February 16, 2012, 11:58 PM
They go on the under rib, behind the second ramrod pipe. Hope these help.

February 17, 2012, 09:46 AM
I'll bet that if you contact Lyman, they would probably send you one, free of charge. I have worked with these folks, in the past and they are great to work with. It's easy for these to come loose and away they go. I have a spare but set but not sure of it's origin. ..... :confused:

That is a very good picture, that MJN77 has posted, showing it's location. ... :)

Be Safe !!!

February 18, 2012, 11:06 AM
Thanks MJN that helps alot. And I will call Lyman next week. I definately do not have one. When I get home Monday I'm gonna look again and compare mine to your pics.

February 20, 2012, 06:53 PM
My rifle doesn't have a spot on the rib for the spring and screw to go. I wonder if mine is just an old one and doesn't have one. If this is the case what in the world holds the ram rod in?

February 20, 2012, 07:10 PM

My rail is just one solid piece not screw holes or cut outs for the spring.

February 22, 2012, 04:29 AM
Many of the Spanish guns have a ramrod spring located inside the stock. However with those guns, there's an opening in the stock between the barrel channel and ramrod hole, which allows the spring to swing upward and contact the bottom of the barrel which in turn places enough pressure on the ramrod to hold it in place.
The ramrod spring is designed to pivot and is not stationary.

See the diagram:


It may be possible to simply wrap a piece of tape around the ramrod to tighten its fit within the stock.
IIRC a more traditional method is to melt a small bead of wax or beeswax inside of the opening of the ramrod hole which should help to wedge the ramrod in place using a friction fit. When the wax wears out then add some more.

February 22, 2012, 05:02 AM
If you check out the diagram articap posted, look at item 'T'. That's your ramrod retaining spring.

If yours is missing, naturally you can order one. If its there but not retaining ramrod, you can put more of a bend in it to tighten it up against ramrod.

February 22, 2012, 08:05 AM
If you check out the diagram articap posted, look at item 'T'. That's your ramrod retaining spring.
Not on a GPR.

The OP correctly identified the parts (No. 1 & 2) in the diagram in the link in his original post. If the underrib rail does not have a screw hole to mount it you'll either need to drill and tap one or get a new rail. Call Lyman and talk to them.

February 22, 2012, 01:30 PM
Oooops...you are correct mykeal.

I think articap was showing the difference in the two most common places for the ramrod retainer in most type bp rifles. Either mounted on the bbl. or under bbl the stock.

The GPR is most certainly on the bbl.