View Full Version : How long is your concealed carry permit good when you move?

January 21, 2012, 07:19 AM
I have my CCW permit in North Carolina but am getting ready to move to Arkansas (there is reciprocity). You have to be a resident for 90 days before you can get your permit in Arkansas. How long is my North Carolina permit good once I move (assuming it's not expired)?

I'm also guessing I'll have to go through the whole process again to get my permit there...

Uncle Buck
January 21, 2012, 12:08 PM

This is a very good question. The permit is valid for North Carolina, because you live there. It is honored in Arkansas when you visit.

The fact that you are now a resident of Ark., I would think invalidates the North Carolina permit because you are no longer a resident.

Interesting indeed and I would be curious as to what the answer is going to be. What does the Arkansas law say?

January 21, 2012, 12:18 PM
Actually, the majority of states that have reciprocity agreements honor non-resident permits. According to handgunlaw.us, only six don't: Colorado, Michigan, Florida, Maine, New Hampshire, and South Carolina.

Some states also have requirements specific to new residents. I was looking at Kansas, the other day, due to a short trip there, and I believe their law specifically said it would honor out-of-state permits for new residents, but I believe there was a requirement for the new resident to begin the application for the Kansas permit within a certain time frame.

We just moved to Missouri, and I can find nothing in the books that says my Florida permit is not valid here. (Although I have initiated the Missouri permit process, and will complete it in a couple months.)

As always, check your state's laws, and when in doubt, ask a lawyer from your area.

Don H
January 21, 2012, 12:26 PM
It varies from state to state. If I chose to move to another state, my Utah permit remains valid as long as I keep renewing it since Utah issues permits to non-residents. If the state I move to does not recognize non-resident permits issued to its residents, then the permit will become invalid in my new state of residence once I establish residency there. If my new home state only offers resident permits, then there would be a period of time between the establishment of residency and the issuing of a permit when I would be unable to CCW legally in the state.

If my new home state recognizes non-resident permits issued to its residents, then I'd be good to go on my Utah permit as long as I kept renewing it.

I, too, would be interested in how Arkansas handles this.

Aguila Blanca
January 21, 2012, 12:28 PM
Actually, the majority of states that have reciprocity agreements honor non-resident permits. According to handgunlaw.us, only six don't: Colorado, Michigan, Florida, Maine, New Hampshire, and South Carolina.


We just moved to Missouri, and I can find nothing in the books that says my Florida permit is not valid here. (Although I have initiated the Missouri permit process, and will complete it in a couple months.)
But is this not dependent on whether the particular state (a) issues non-resident permits, and if so (b) allows residents to convert to non-resident status by simple change of address notification when they move? Once the move has been made, the OP is no longer a resident of NC. Does NC allow him to change the permit to non-resident? If so, how is this accomplished?

January 21, 2012, 12:42 PM
I notified Florida when I left in 2008, and was told there was nothing I needed to do until scheduled renewal.

That may also vary by state. I know my GA is no good as of a few days ago, when I switched DL and vehicle registration to MO. GA does not issue non-resident permits.

January 21, 2012, 09:44 PM
As Bob Dole would say 'depends'..

Problem-often the new atate dont reciuprocate when you are now a resident of that state..

States have 'waiting periods' to apply so you may have to live there 90-180days etc before you can apply.

Check the net for the new states gun right group and then ask on a forum of that group.

""Actually, the majority of states that have reciprocity agreements honor non-resident permits. According to handgunlaw.us, only six don't: Colorado, Michigan, Florida, Maine, New Hampshire, and South Carolina."" copied from #3 above.

Michigan will take any states RESIDENT permit. Not so with nonRESIDENT.

January 21, 2012, 10:06 PM
That's what I said, langenc, MI does not honor non-resident permits.

January 22, 2012, 03:40 AM
It has been awhile. When I lived in AR they required to specify the weapon you carry as part of the permit process. You need to contact the state and find out.

In AZ my understanding is that, if you move you must notify the SP of your change of address within 10 days. Failure to do so will void your CCW.

Since the state now allows concealled with out a permit, this requirement is mute. I intend to keep my CCW current as it allows me instant pickup of any new pistols.

Spats McGee
January 22, 2012, 09:33 AM
@ the OP: I'm unaware of any statute in our CHCL provisions that state how long your NC permit is good for. You're required to update your DL within 30 days of moving, but I don't know what effect that will have on your NC permit. Call the Arkansas State police at five zero one, six one eight, eighty-six hundred. That's the CHCL division. I'm swamped today, but I'll try to take a look at the Arkansas Code in the next couple of days to see if I can help you find an answer.

@ ltc444 -- Just in case you were curious, Arkansas no longer requires you to specify your carry weapon. What you use to qualify at the range determines your license: (1) Qualify with a revolver, and you can only carry a revolver; (2) qualify with a semi-auto, and you can carry either a revolver or a semi-auto.

January 22, 2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm planning a househunting trip in the next couple of weeks. I plan on stopping by the sherrif's office to get the details. I'll post an update when I do.

January 22, 2012, 12:42 PM
Well maybe I spoke too soon. I found on the State Police site a transfer application. What I don't know is if the 90 day residency requirement still exists since it's a transfer. There are no questions on the application itself about time at current residence so maybe it's a non-issue. It does say it could take up to 120 days and since they take your original permit I guess that takes care of the residency period. At least I won't have to wait 3 mos to apply and then another 4 mos to get the permit. The front page of the application says:
Effective January 1, 2009 1 Revised 09/01/10

Instructions for Transfer of a Concealed Handgun Carry License (CHCL) to Arkansas from a state that has CHCL reciprocity with Arkansas

You must send us:
1. A properly completed Arkansas Concealed Handgun Carry License Application form indicating Transfer Application.
2. A check or money order, for $79.25 payable to the ARKANSAS STATE POLICE. ($35.00 transfer fee, $25.00 state background check fee and $19.25 federal background check fee).
3. Two (2) legible properly completed fingerprint cards. These cards are blue lined “applicant” cards with ORI AR920570Z and are only available from an ASP Troop Headquarters (see map on website for locations), ASP Headquarters in Little Rock or from a firearms safety course training instructor (see listing on website).
4. The original valid Concealed Handgun Carry License from the reciprocal state. (It will be retained in our file.)

January 22, 2012, 11:26 PM
Get an out of state permit to cover you for any period where your in-state permit may be in limbo.

When I moved from X to Y, Y required me to be a resident for 30 or 90 days (I forget which). But as soon as I declared residency in Y, my X state terminated the license. So I was effectively without a license for a month or more...

Since I move a lot, I have out of state license that cover me for those potential 'gaps' in coverage.

January 23, 2012, 11:25 AM
This is a great thread, and great timing... I have a FL non-resident permit but am planning to move to FL in a few months. Even though it isn't up for renewal for another four years, I'm hoping to be able to get it renewed early so that I can have a resident permit and thus be able to carry in the states that don't recognize non-resident permits. I'd rather not risk a situation where I get in trouble for showing a non-resident permit even though I'll be a FL resident by then and thus be legal. I can imagine the addresses on my DL and CCW not matching might raise an eyebrow or two for an officer who hasn't got the spare time to read up on other states' laws.

Would I have to worry about my non-resident permit being terminated during the transitional period between when I leave my current state of residence (NJ) and when I've been a FL resident long enough to apply for a resident permit? Or is the duration-of-residency requirement waived if you've already got a valid non-resident permit issued by the same state you're seeking a resident permit in? Is there even such a waiting period in FL?

January 23, 2012, 05:28 PM
There is no waiting period in Florida, in fact there is no difference in the resident and non-resident license. The currently isuued concealed weapons license does not have an address on it. To make it a resident license just send a change of address to the Florida DOA.

The non-resident license will be valid as a resident license as soon as you establish residency and get a Florida ID. I don't think they will issue a new license for address changes but you may be able to get a duplicate issued but it will not have an address.

January 25, 2012, 10:38 AM
Good to know. Too bad they didn't stop putting addresses on them before I got mine, but at least there won't be any gap in coverage and it'll be nice to finally live somewhere I can belt on my CCW and carry it out my own front door!

January 27, 2012, 02:28 PM
Some states (like WA) will allow you to change your permit from a resident to non-resident permit on a change of address.. No gap in validity, same permit, just different address.

Check with your present state.

I think if every state recognized every other state's license, then it might be like your drivers license, but not every state does. I don't know of any state that requires you to surrender you present CPL to receive theirs.

January 29, 2012, 02:25 PM
It seems to me that the answer would likely depend on what constitutes legal residency in both Arkansas and South Carolina.

February 1, 2012, 07:36 PM
Just a couple of comments. Uncle Buck is correct in that if you have a NC concealed carry permit, and then move out of NC to another state, the permit is not vaild, since you are required to be a resident to obtain and or keep a NC permit. NC at this time does not have a non-resident permit.

14‑415.12. Criteria to qualify for the issuance of a permit.

(a) The sheriff shall issue a permit to an applicant if the applicant qualifies under the following criteria:

(1) The applicant is a citizen of the United States and has been a resident of the State 30 days or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application.

Also, you are required to notify the Sheriff of the issuing county within 30 days of a change of permanent residence.

14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.

(d) A person who is issued a permit shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of any change in the person's permanent address within 30 days after the change of address. If a permit is lost or destroyed, the person to whom the permit was issued shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of the loss or destruction of the permit. A person may obtain a duplicate permit by submitting to the sheriff a notarized statement that the permit was lost or destroyed and paying the required duplicate permit fee.

Also note section b below refernce punishment. So be careful.

§ 14‑415.21. Violations of this Article punishable as an infraction and a Class 2 misdemeanor.

(a) A person who has been issued a valid permit who is found to be carrying a concealed handgun without the permit in the person's possession or who fails to disclose to any law enforcement officer that the person holds a valid permit and is carrying a concealed handgun, as required by G.S. 14‑415.11, shall be guilty of an infraction for the first offense and shall be punished in accordance with G.S. 14‑3.1. In lieu of paying a fine for the first offense, the person may surrender the permit. Subsequent offenses for failing to carry a valid permit or for failing to make the necessary disclosures to a law enforcement officer as required by G.S. 14‑415.11 shall be punished in accordance with subsection (b) of this section.

(b) A person who violates the provisions of this Article other than as set forth in subsection (a) of this section is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. (1995, c. 398, s. 1.)

Just wanted to help keep you out of trouble.

February 2, 2012, 06:30 PM
Post deleted by me.

The basis of my theory in that post is now incorrect due to recent changes in Michigan State Law.