PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own the Remington 1911 R1 Enhanced model?

Mrgunsngear
September 21, 2011, 01:51 PM
This little gem caught my eye while perusing gunsite's review section. I'm sure it has great ergos like all 1911s but I'm really interested in reliability. If anyone has experience with this gun, I'd love to hear it before purchasing one. Thanks.

horseman308
September 22, 2011, 08:05 AM
I got to handle one at a store earlier this week. It seemed well built with tight tolerances and relatively smooth operation. The trigger was good. Of course, I didn't shoot it, so that may not help you out much. It seemed about comparable to maybe an SA loaded, though I'm still working on becoming a novice when it comes to understanding the 1911.

Adamantium
September 22, 2011, 10:18 AM
As with the poster above, no direct experience with it, but what turned me off to it was this of the R1 website...

What ammo do I use in my 1911 R1?

The 1911 Series pistols were designed to use the cartridges listed below:

45 AUTO………..230 GR FMJ…………835 FPS

Other correct caliber cartridges not listed above of various types or bullet weights may or may not function acceptably. Ammunition not described above should be tried and thoroughly tested by the user before relying on it.

Which to me says there is no sending it back for service if it won't feed a JHP.

Mrgunsngear
September 22, 2011, 06:55 PM
That is concerning but I'm pretty sure Remington would service the gun if it didn't feed JHPs. They're known for having good customer service.

Rugerismisticness
September 23, 2011, 04:08 AM
Yes they most certainly are known for their CS, mostly because of things like poorly manufactured 870s, 1187, versamaxs (which I think has some real potential with a small redesign), and ofcourse the wonderful little 887...

I would never ever buy a 1911 from them, these things take skill and experiance to build.