PDA

View Full Version : Sig p238 feedback??

Thefiring007
September 21, 2011, 10:06 AM
This fine .380 to me is a great CC piece what are your thoughts on the gun and the caliber??

hardhat harry
September 21, 2011, 10:44 AM
+1...actually, +2, I own two.

osageid
September 21, 2011, 11:27 AM
They shoot very well! They would make a great carry piece. One problem is that if you have large hands the fit will not be that great.

Thefiring007
September 21, 2011, 11:31 AM
I can get 2 fingers on the grip with ony the pinky hanging and still seem to fire it pretty well. The only thing i didnt like about my 238 is the finish on the barrel (rosewood model) it has a black sandblast coating that comes from factory scratched and after about 200 shots it gets wear marks on it. I sanded the finish off to the steel and it looks alot nicer....;)

icedog88
September 21, 2011, 11:35 AM
One problem is that if you have large hands the fit will not be that great.

The 7 rnd mag alleviates this to some degree. I love my p238. Accurate little pistol. Due to the light weight, great for summer carry or sweats.

Thefiring007
September 21, 2011, 11:39 AM
Icedog is your barrel coated black? If so is there any wear on the finish?

osageid
September 21, 2011, 11:39 AM
@007 Have you seen the diamond slide finish?? I really like that!! My hand size is similar to yours from the sound of it but a friend of mine with large hands with "big" fingers did not like the fit at all. Having said that he still bought the gun because how well it shot and the overall size.

Thefiring007
September 21, 2011, 12:11 PM
Osageid I have seen the diamond slide model looked neat at first but I believe it will get boring fast. One thing I suggest make sure you look at the barrel and make sure the finish isn't regged looking mine was faded and looked horrible, besides that the gun fires great. I don't really want to sell it but I wouldn't mind a 9mm of the same size and I'm looking at a kahr pm9. My 238 may go for sale soon.

icedog88
September 21, 2011, 12:32 PM
007:
the barrel is coated and is starting to wear but not really worried too much. If it doesn't affect the function or accuracy of my pistol, IMO, why worry? If rust becomes an issue, I'll deal with it then.:) No worries here mate!

Thefiring007
September 21, 2011, 12:41 PM
here is the before and after pictures of my barrel. Im picky for those things so i had to fix it. Just my thought

Thefiring007
September 21, 2011, 12:45 PM
here are the before pics

icedog88
September 21, 2011, 12:52 PM
Outstanding job! I do like it better that way.

HisSoldier
September 21, 2011, 01:28 PM
I have the (supposedly) all stainless model, the HD, it cost me $600. Two fly's in the ointment, 1. a plastic trigger, 2. a plastic MSH.

Here it is with one of my stainless triggers installed.http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc225/partsproduction/change30-2.jpg

And here is a customer's P238,
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc225/partsproduction/P1010012.jpg

We intend to also manufacture stainless mainspring housings as well eventually, but the shop is extremely busy right now.

My experience with the P238 is very positive other than the garbage parts mentioned, it is very reliable for such a small locked breech gun.

Thefiring007
September 21, 2011, 01:35 PM
I AGREE 100% its been reliable and very accurate out the box with minor sight adjustment. If you install anything to the gun aftermarket supposedly it will void your warranty, make sure you keep the original...:D

EAJ702
September 21, 2011, 02:21 PM
Haven't had any issues with mine. Comfortable to shoot, good (night) sights and reliable. I polished the barrel on mine.

http://www.fishkind.com/collection/images/sig238_02.jpg

Thefiring007
September 21, 2011, 02:35 PM
how did you polish it it ooks really sweet like that, mine is just sanded down but i want to make it smooth and buff it out to look like that.

Thefiring007
September 21, 2011, 03:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/flyinsohigh007#p/a/u/0/5Gt0P9BGt4Y

here goes my review on the 238...

EAJ702
September 22, 2011, 02:24 AM
how did you polish it it ooks really sweet like that, mine is just sanded down but i want to make it smooth and buff it out to look like that.

I began with 400 grit paper and ended with 600, then finished it with Flitz polish. Simichrome polish also works well. :)

Tomac
September 22, 2011, 07:06 AM
Bought one for the wife to replace her 9mm (she's recovering from cancer and can no longer handle or work the slide on the 9mm) and she loves it, the controls are easy for her to manipulate.
The locked-breech action reduces the typical .380 snappish recoil and Hogue grips reduce it even more.
Still deciding between CorBon DPX or FMJ for defensive use but so far it's been 100% reliable w/FMJ & DPX, even out of the cheap Colt Mustang mags we picked up from MidwayUSA for range use.
Tomac

Nakanokalronin
September 22, 2011, 09:13 AM
After shooting and owning other .380s, its the best pocket gun out there. Mine is the basic 2-tone w/night sights. It also has some VZ grips, stainless 1911 slim line grip screws and a SS trigger.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg10/scaled.php?server=10&filename=sigp238.jpg&res=medium

Mine had the original type recoil spring on it but the Gen 3 mag followers. I've experienced zero failures of any kind with ball or HP ammo. I have one more extra original recoil spring left, then it goes to the 2nd gen stiffer spring set and finally the Gen 3 flat spring set. I can shoot this thing all day like it was a full size gun with features that mimic them as well.

danfive555
September 22, 2011, 09:09 PM

You can get the blueing off the barrel by soaking in white vinegar 3-4 minutes, then wiping with a paper towel. It will be all gone, you can then polish with Flitz, don't think that part makes much of a difference though.

bedbugbilly
September 22, 2011, 09:35 PM
I shoot sometimes with a neighbor/friend and she has one - she loves it. She's a smaller lady and it fits her hand very well. I've shot it and I liked it. Her boyfriend liked it enough that he got one for himself. Like any make/model, I suppose a problem could pop up at sometime but I've always heard that Sig is good about taking care of any problems. I make custom holsters and I made one for her - I had a chance to handle it quite a bit and I thought it was well balanced - I would think it would make an excellent CC piece.

vegaseric
September 22, 2011, 10:59 PM
I like the feel of these guns, but I'm curious to how people are carrying them... especially in the pocket. Condition One?

icedog88
September 23, 2011, 05:26 AM
I carry it in a Tagua p238 IWB condition one.